first time out with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
well just got back from Florida last night...me and my brother met a buddy of mine and his wife down there while they were on vacation to Florida.. so we went to Ginnie and Troy to try out my doubles...LP 104's with 100lb OMS wing and SS b/p
now first off the long walk from the top of Troy down to the dock was the hardest part

trying to get fins on with that much on my back was a lil but of a pain ...everyone talked about how if you get flipped on ya back how hard it was to get back upright
so i was scared to bend over too far one way in the water
but once i got that done i had to add quite a bit of air to the BC to stay neutral
or as neutral as i could i say quite a bit of air probably wasn't as much as it seemed
seeing as i have never had that much weight on me

now really the hardest part so far was finding what to do with all the time in the water
hahaah (other than the walk with the doubles on my back)
i mean yes there isnt much to see in Troy i went there in hopes of it not being crowded
(which it wasn't) for me to practice..
now i was struggling trying to reach the valves to turn one off it need be
but i think i can get that worked out..now to get them refilled and go again
heck i still had 1500 left after 30+ mins at 70+ feet
oh i have poor air consumption if u guys/gals was wondering why i was happy about the amount of air remaining

Work on improving your bouyancy. To much weight means having to add more air to the bc which causes drag, etc. End result is you will use more air. As you become more experienced you will use a lot less air. Practice makes perfect.

yah i know ive got work on bouyancy some more
but with doubles i didn't carry any weights at all and that
is one thing i liked about them and they seem to be fairly easy to maneuver
around in i did turn my self upside down with tanks facing the bottom
to see how easy it was to get back in correct position and it wasn't that bad at all
i did use the tree at the bottom of troy to gently roll on my back just incase
but it was not that bad now i just have to find someone to carry them to and from the water for me haha

I just doubled my E7-100's and after switching a stainless BP for a aluminum one and wearing a 7mm I still have to add air in the rec wing. I actually found the tanks more stable as doubles than singles. The most important thing is cylinder placement in the bands so you are level.

My 46 year old knees sounded like a bowl of rice krispies walking down the steps to Ginnie. Got better as the day went along.

when were u at Ginnie we were there yesterday in the AM 8:30-10:30 or so
i have not even dove my doubles as singles got them from a buddy of mine
already together and filled with 32% just needed a new home
i dont really plan to pull mine apart i dont think if i choose to dive a single
ill prob just use my AL80s which i have thought also about doubling up

I was there 2 saturdays ago and will be back this weds or sat.

I'm going to keep them doubled, doing cavern/intro to cave in july, I have 2 sherwood genesis steel 80's that I'm going to try and find a set of H valves for so I can use them as singles. $150 for a H valve.............nobody said diving was cheap!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom