First Time In Belize - Diving + Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gario

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone! New forum member here (SSI OW 25 dives) and appreciate the suggestions.

I'm doing a relatively short trip to BZE (5 days, 4 nights), and was hoping to see some whale sharks. I know most of the trips out to the dive sites are packages+accommodations which are 5-7 days and I was hoping to piece together. I'd like to spend one day with the whale sharks and perhaps another at the wall (or open to other suggestions for a first timer), and wanting to spend the other two doing some fishing/hiking or seeing ruins.

Does any one have any suggestions on where to stay to efficiently manage two dive days & how to get around?

Would prefer to spend less than more. :)

Thanks!

You have to stay in the southern part of the Country to have any change to see them.

Do a search for a user on this forum named Ralph Capeling. He is affiliated with a dive shop in the Placencia area and will have accurate information for you!

Each year I report on whale shark sightings during the full moon whale shark seasons in March, April, May and June at Gladden Spit. This year the dates are:
  • March 23rd to April 3rd
  • April 22nd to May 3rd
  • May 21st to June 1st
  • June 20th to July 1st
The best months for whale shark diving are April and May. The encounter success rate is lower in March than in other months so we do not pre-book guests for whale shark diving for the March whale shark moon.
Contact Splash Dive - one of the primary shops diving Whale Sharks out of Placencia. Ralph or Patty can also hook you up with land-based tours since many are accessible from there.

They have connections with local hotel/apt. rentals also - found my buddies a decent, inexpensive place in town where they could walk to everything. Splash picks you up for diving and I believe at the airport also. My friends didn't even rent a car.

On their non-dive day they went to Cockscomb Preserve for the Jaguars (saw none) and Howler Monkeys (saw a lot). I suspect the lack of the first led to the boldness of the second...lol.

I see others posted some of this first...

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks! So excited.

Does anyone recommend a night or two in Belize City? Or can it be skipped altogether?

Thumbs up on Splash in Placencia. I'll be diving them in June. And thumbs up on your decision to skip Belize City. I like checking out the historic areas but concede it's not for everybody, for whom the risks outweigh the benefits.

For the most part Belize City is a dirty place with little beauty. It can be interesting though but to my mind, not interesting enough to be bothered, especially on a trip as short as yours. Frankly, if you base yourself in Placencia, you won't even get that close to Belize City. The international airport is actually at Ladyville. It's a $25US taxi ride into the city from the airport.

My advice is the same as the other posters'. Hook up with Splash and let them organize everything for you.

I'm sorry for your sake that you're not staying longer and you probably will be too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom