First Time Fins for a Large Foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Scallop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for any suggestions and advice.

I'm a somewhat big guy, 6'3", 250lbs, size 14 foot, starting certification classes. I'm looking to buy a pair of fins. I did some research and decided to look at the jet type fins. With that in mind, I've put together a list of fins to consider:

• Scubapro jets
  • Hollis F1s
  • Hollis F2s
  • XS Scuba Turtles

These are all open heel. I've heard good things about the Mares Waves but the sizing chart implies they won't be big enough for me.

i'm in NYC and am planning to hit up LeisurePro between now and Tuesday to try on the different models and pick up some socks and/or boots.

My question: is there anything I'm missing that I should put on my list to try? I like the fact that most of these boots are on the short end for ease of travel/storage but I'm not averse to going with a longer fin if it's the best fit. Also, since I'm going to LeisurePro, I'm looking for fins they've got in stock (hence no slipstreams on my list).

Thanks in advance!

Todd.

Are you a good swimmer? You have some good choices there, but I'd add Dive Rite EXPs. Call them and see if the foot pockets would work for you...

I own F-1's and Turtles. Love them both.....

My question: is there anything I'm missing ...

Sounds like a great plan. The only thing I would suggest is to first find one or more pair of boots there that are very easy to put on and take off. Then try on the fins in your list with that group of boots and find a combination that's comfortable and easy to get on and off. That's what my LDS had me do and I'm so glad they did. Some boots were hell to get on and off. Some were easy but didn't fit the fns right for me or were hard to get on and off the fins. I ended up with a dream combination. Boots and fins are something I would always try on before buying.

Thanks for tha advice. I'll definitely go boots first then fins. Hopefully, I'll be able to find my own dream combo. I'm a bit worried that a lot of the fins top out at size 14 or 15 which doesn't give me much room to play with as far as boots go. We'll see.

I picked up some Mares Avanti Superchannel fins. My XL Scubapro Jet fins were difficult with my drysuit boots. I also have big feet 11.5-12 shoes depending on who made them. The Mares are definitely easier to get on and off and in my opinion give more thrust per cycle. The Jets however are a little more negative and I will probably add a little more weight next dive. I second or third or whatever the suggestion to get your boots first then go try some on. Safe Diving, Tony

Back
Top Bottom