First time Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wulf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

Since I'm new to scubaboard I'd like to introduce myself first:

My name is Wulf, I'm from Germany. I started scuba diving 6 years ago. Since I live in northern Germany my first diving experience (open water course) was in the Baltic Sea... huaaahhhh ... cold - but I was was hooked on diving from that day on and haven't stopped since then :D

Im glad I found this forum, since me and my girlfriend are going to Mexico and Belize this March and have some questions concerning diving/accomodation etc. I hope you guys can help us:

- we'd like to go to Caye Caulker for a few days, but we haven't made any reservation for lodging (yet) - is ist wise to do so, or is it possible just to go there and find some place to stay?

- Any recommandations concerning diving operators on Caye Caulker? - I searched on the Internet and found "Belize Diving Services" and "Frenchies" - both looked ok to me - has anybody been diving with them?

- Apart from Blue Hole - can you guys recommend dive sites worth going (and NOT going)?

... there are probably more questions ... but they don't come to my mind now - maybe later on (have to have another cup of coffee to get my mind working :coffee:)

Hope sombody can help us - thanks in advance anyway!!!

Wulf.

Hi Wulf, and welcome!

- we'd like to go to Caye Caulker for a few days, but we haven't made any reservation for lodging (yet) - is ist wise to do so, or is it possible just to go there and find some place to stay?
For March you should have no problems just turning up, but when you've picked a dive centre you could ask them if they have any recommendations.

- Any recommandations concerning diving operators on Caye Caulker? - I searched on the Internet and found "Belize Diving Services" and "Frenchies" - both looked ok to me - has anybody been diving with them?
Both are good, and there's Big Fish as well. BDS is the longest established and the busiest and is probably the one I'd go with.

- Apart from Blue Hole - can you guys recommend dive sites worth going (and NOT going)?
Blue Hole is a dive that I only recommend to experienced divers. You go there for the experience, not for the sights. Otherwise any of the barrier reef dive sites that BDS would take you to will be good. There isn't much diving directly off CC - most is either north off Ambergris Caye or south to places like Sergeant's Caye. The dive sites chosen for any particular trip will depend on weather and sea conditions, as well as where anyone else on the boat has already been.

... there are probably more questions ... but they don't come to my mind now - maybe later on (have to have another cup of coffee to get my mind working :coffee:)
Whenever you're ready.....

There are a couple of Belize-focussed forums that you'll find useful. The first Ambergris Caye & Belize Message Board - Forums powered by UBB.threads™ and Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate also has a great deal of general information/maps etc. The other is Belize!, Caribbean travel, scuba, Mayan culture: What's New Belize Forums

Thanks!

There is another question:
I had a look a the diving packages both Frenchies and BDS offer. They include the diving gear (probably not computers?) - so it is probably not worth bring your own?
I thought maybe mask, snorkel, fins, (3mm) suit plus computer should do (travelling with a backpack) and leave the heavy / bulky stuff (regulator / BCD) at home.
So what's the quality of the gear like you can rent there? What would you recommend?

Cheers,

Wulf.

I'd probably go along with what you propose bringing. I'd always bring my own computer even if there were one for rental, and in fact I think there isn't. I would bring a thick dive skin in preference to a neoprene suit. I don't know what the rental gear is like, but I believe that at BDS at any rate it's good, and well maintained.

Thanks for all the information!
I'm really looking forward that trip - especially the diving :D

Wulf.

Wulf
I have not been to Belize yet either but plan to go next year.
I know one of the co-owners of a Bed and Breakfast called the Lazy Iguana on Caye Caulker.
It is a classy place and I think the rates are worth looking at.
I have provided a link to their website for you to look at if you are interested.
dubdubdub.lazyiguana.net
Enjoy!
ficht

Try to get some dives off Half Moon Caye while you are at the BH, I reckon they are the best dives in northern Belize

Hi Wulf,

In fact, some of the best diving in Belize is either on the western side of Long Caye on the Lighthouse Reef Atoll, or in the South Water Caye Marine Reserve in the southern barrier reef.*** Since you're diving from Caye Caulker ask them to take you to the western sites at Long Caye.* Also ask them to take you to the southern end of the Turneffe Islands Atoll, perhaps doing The Elbow and Black Beauty where you'll have opportunity to see the rare White Spotted Toad Fish which can only be found on that atoll, and no where else in the world.
Good Luck

Anne-MarieAvadon Divers Placencia Belize

Hello,
this is my first post on Scubaboard, and it is time I give back some information since I get so much before every trip from these boards!

I just want to second your choice of BDS. We (girlfriend and I) were on Caye Caulker in February for 6 days and dove 3 days with them; their equipment is in good condition, and the staff is friendly. We also only brought our computers, masks, snorkels and fins on this trip.

We had some great dives in Hol Chan, and near AC at a site called Tackle Box. Tons of nurse sharks, and great reef formations.

We also did the blue hole on the 4th day, and as peterbj7 says, it really is an experience more than anything. It was my 50th dive exactly, and I am very glad I did it; the feeling down at 140 feet with the stalactites is absolutely amazing, for the 8 minutes it lasts. When we were coming back up, 8 Carribean Reef sharks started appearing below us, slowly coming up out of the dark void... It was an amazing and beautiful sight I won't soon forget. (Especially with the little high I was having from the Narcosis!)
The two other dives on that trip are also very nice with immense coral formations that are like buildings, and the lunch break on Half Moon Caye is a welcome pause between the 2nd and 3rd dive. You can walk on the island and there is a nice bird observatory on top of a tower. It all made the hour and a half it takes to get there and the early 5:30 AM departure worth it to me. On the other hand, we met a guy who was unhappy with his Blue Hole dive, saying that it was not worth the 3 hour boat ride, so it really depends on what you expect out of a dive I guess.

BDS do not offer the Blue Hole anymore, so you have to go do it with Frenchie's or Big Fish, (we went with Big Fish because Frenchie's was full, and I thought the guides were very unfriendly compared to BDS) but the dive shops all work together on the Island, and BDS will let you pay your Blue Hole to them and count it towards a multiple day package discount, and they will pay the other shop you choose to do the Blue Hole with.

As for lodging, my girlfriend and I got on CC with no reservation at all and had no problems finding rooms. It was pretty quiet when we were there, and many of the owners we talked to told us that this year is much more quiet than usual, blaming it on the crisis... We started at a so-so place called Tropical Paradise for 2 nights (I felt every spring in the mattress), and moved to Mara's place at the end of the Island near the Split which was really to our liking.

I wish you a great trip, and some fantastic dives.

Max

Back
Top Bottom