First tests with new strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baruke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
Just made my 2 first dives with my new Z-240.
I had little time to take photos, viz was very weak (2 to 5 mts) and the second dive was my first at night :wink:

Some became little dark, and I didn´t discover the problem when diving. I thought it was any problem with choose of aperture, and forgot to check the fine tune knob on the strobe (when sTTL). :blush:

Most were taken in TV mode with strobe on sTTL (low???).

Make comments, please.

Good dives

Attachments

• IMG_0027mini.JPG
    IMG_0027mini.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0038mini.JPG
    IMG_0038mini.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0039mini.JPG
    IMG_0039mini.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
  • aranha do mar.JPG
    aranha do mar.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0075mini.JPG
    IMG_0075mini.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 47
Glad you had fun, I admire your courage in taking you new stobe out on your fist night dive!

Your lighting is gnereally well balanced and you have managed to avoid backskatter despite the porr visibility. My biggest problems, as another new strobe user, are aiming the thing and avoiding over-exposing macro subjects, you don't have those problems either, so well done.

Alison

Thank you Alison,

The night dive was on a very familiar spot to me (about 12 dives there). It was one of my AOWD course dives, and first I had to make some exercises, like orientation, without camera set of course. My buddy takes care of it.
But then, I had about 30 min to take some photo experience.

For macro, I believe the best strobe position is above camera (10 cm above) pointing forward slightly up (about 20º), making some "edge" lighting.
I´d tried some with strobe above the subject pointing directly to it, mainly to have some focus light (at night), but seems to be worst because backscatter and "spot" dust. With that configuration, I think it is also more difficult to my camera manage the over-lighting of the strobe focus light when pre-shooting (the LCD became almost all white!!!).
I´m using a cheap "terrain" macro lens (+10 diop.) on max tele (140mm), that give me opportunity to focus about 15cm of the lens with the same magnify of macro mode at widest and 2 cm of the lens. That setup gives more space to manage the lighting and reduce the DOF comparing to native macro mode.

M.Oliveira

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom