First tank help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I’ve finally decided on a first tank. I’d like to get a HP100 since I’m still a bit of an air hog, running a bp/w so would like the added weight of steel to drop lead and would prefer the reduced size of a HP as opposed to a LP for my first tank. Eventually I would like to have 2 hp100’s and 2 lp95. Anything on top of that would just be a bonus.

As far as the first tank goes, is there an ideal age range I should be looking for as a first tank? Is there an ideal brand when buying used and looking at older HP? I have been told by a few to look for hot dipped tanks over painted when buying used? When buying used I assume it’s better to get one that’s recently had both inspections? Assuming the tank is within all dates what would be a “fair” price to pay. Also assuming a tank is outside of the dates and I’ll need to have both test done, what’s a fair price then? Since this will be my first should I focus on buying from a shop that already inspected the tank? How much more on average would I spend buying used through a shop as opposed to private sale? Living here in South Florida there are so many tanks listed for sale everyday in classifieds I just have i idea what’s a food and fair starting price.

age is not as much an issue with steel tanks, but because of design changes, you will want something fairly newer for hp100s so you avoid the 3180 psi fabers and the 3500 psi 300 bar din PSTs (mid 2000s and newer). the 3442 psi HDG PSTs and worthingtons are the ones you want (3442 psi HDG fabers are too new to be seen on the secondary market usually) and the painted 3442 psi fabers are not as hardy but you can consider them if the price is right. Prices vary, but the good PSTs and Worthingtons run roughly 200 to 250 with a current hydro/vis. Open up the tank and stick a light in to check for pitting and rust. buying from a shop may not be more expensive if they run a promotion where you get free fills for buying a tank. they just are hoping you won't come back for the next 5 years to get your money's worth in fills.

For good used steel tanks, you are probably around $200 each for them. Maybe more with new/Recent hydro, maybe less with old or expired hydro. Be careful of “great deals” when you factor cost of hydro, valve rebuild and possible tumble if they have any flash rust...

Buying new starts to look like am ok deal, unless you really know what you are looking for,

HP100 is probably your best bet for so fla. Unless you know you can get overfills, I would avoid LP tanks. I dove LP95s for years, and don’t really recommend those. If you are ok with size of an 8” tank, a Faber/OMS 108 is a much better tank.

age is not as much an issue with steel tanks, but because of design changes, you will want something fairly newer for hp100s so you avoid the 3180 psi fabers and the 3500 psi 300 bar din PSTs (mid 2000s and newer). the 3442 psi HDG PSTs and worthingtons are the ones you want (3442 psi HDG fabers are too new to be seen on the secondary market usually) and the painted 3442 psi fabers are not as hardy but you can consider them if the price is right. Prices vary, but the good PSTs and Worthingtons run roughly 200 to 250 with a current hydro/vis. Open up the tank and stick a light in to check for pitting and rust. buying from a shop may not be more expensive if they run a promotion where you get free fills for buying a tank. they just are hoping you won't come back for the next 5 years to get your money's worth in fills.

if a tank still has some fill and is inside both dates should I still open up the tanks to look inside? Or am I going to be screwed by a shop at that point needing another visual since I broke it open?

For good used steel tanks, you are probably around $200 each for them. Maybe more with new/Recent hydro, maybe less with old or expired hydro. Be careful of “great deals” when you factor cost of hydro, valve rebuild and possible tumble if they have any flash rust...

Buying new starts to look like am ok deal, unless you really know what you are looking for,

HP100 is probably your best bet for so fla. Unless you know you can get overfills, I would avoid LP tanks. I dove LP95s for years, and don’t really recommend those. If you are ok with size of an 8” tank, a Faber/OMS 108 is a much better tank.
I was worried about getting fills with the LP but as I mentioned those I was planning to get down the road so I had hoped by that point I would have found a shop willing to overfill LP. The idea was to eventually have both hp and lp.

it becomes up to you at that point. If you have access to a transfill whip, you can always just stick a couple hundred psi back in. the risk of buying a tank without looking inside is that it might need a tumble or have some pitting that if you know about, you can haggle on the price.

it becomes up to you at that point. If you have access to a transfill whip, you can always just stick a couple hundred psi back in. the risk of buying a tank without looking inside is that it might need a tumble or have some pitting that if you know about, you can haggle on the price.

So it’s common practice to open up a used tank that has some fill and is within both inspection dates?

if a tank still has some fill and is inside both dates should I still open up the tanks to look inside? Or am I going to be screwed by a shop at that point needing another visual since I broke it open?

That just depends on if you see buying from a person who will back up the tanks if they fail vip in 6 months.

I would be cracking them open.. but I have a fill whip and would Pump em back up

So it’s common practice to open up a used tank that has some fill and is within both inspection dates?

depends on how recent and if the seller is willing to guarantee the tank is good. if they had it recently hydroed and vis'd within the past month, you generally are ok. but even a tank that has a current hydro and vis can have some pitting and flash rust that should be taken into account when buying.

Run, don't walk, down to the classified section. There are 4 HP100s up for sale in Tampa right now.

Back
Top Bottom