First set of gear - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to get my first set of equipment. Recently started researching specific options. I mostly dive tropics, however I would like to do some local diving here in NY, so the gear should be good for both warm and relatively cold water

I've tried out a few different BC's (different types of jacket's and a back inflate) and think I want to go the back-inflate route. However, I'm not to sure about which Reg to get - I've tried a few and was pretty satisfied with everything I tried.

Here are some thoughts I have:

Zeagle Covert BCD Zeagle Covert BCD pretty good price and good for travel

Regs:

Aqualung Mikron: Aqua Lung 2018 Mikron Regulator
Z2 https://www.leisurepro.com/p-atmz2s...pro.com/p-atmz2s/atomic-aquatics-z2-regulator

Is this Mares any good? pretty great price.. Mares Prestige 12S Regulator

Would appreciate thoughts and any suggestions for other options.

thanks!

if you are going to dive in NJ/NY, a sealed reg is a good idea. sealing atomic regs is messy and costs more every servicing, so look at apeks (or the dive rite/deep 6 homages if price is a concern) or the scubapro mk17.

i would also look at a bpw with steel plate and weighted sta.

Assuming you will want to do dives in water less than 50F, you need a CW reg, and neither of those two are. With Mares that costs a pretty penny - you would need to get the Abyss 52x and then add the CW dry kit.
With Aqualung, the Core Supreme is the lowest price model they market for CW use. What they don't broadcast is that the Calypso, while an unbalanced piston and not environmentally sealed, has met the EU test standards for CW use and performs pretty well in general.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved from General Equipment to Diving into new gear

The Atomic regulators are excellent. I have used Atomic regulators in the waters of NY/NJ for years, sealed and unsealed, without issues and were the most reliable regulators without a doubt.

Sealing an Atomic first stage isn't an issue and definitely not messy. This is a myth the uninformed try propagate. it has no relationship to reality at all.

I'd recommend the Atomic Z2 sealed for sure. With a sealed first stage atomic, you can go for 5 years without requiring any service while the regulator performing like new no issues at all (I do). In addition to their legendary reliability, they are also the best performers at all depths and conditions.

The AL Micro and the Mares (any model) aren't in the same league/category as the atomic in terms of performance/reliability, not even close!!

how is packing the chamber full of tribolube not messy? atomic is the only company still doing this method of sealing.

Back
Top Bottom