First scuba wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDan2020

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I'm about to purchase my first wetsuit, I was considering a 5mm. Recently came across an Italian wetsuit brand called Teknodiver. I cannot find any reviews on it so I would appreciate if there are any experienced divers out there who came across this and can tell me what he/she thinks. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

I'm a new diver as well and don't own a wetsuit (I have everything else except for the tank and weights) because I dive in the tropics and am comfortable in shorts and tshirt. I do however own a pair of SP shorts with pockets. Pockets are awesome and help reduce the amount of gear you have to attach to your BC. Next year I'll probably buy a wetsuit but I'll make sure it has pockets. Deep6 sells a wetsuit with pockets that I'll certainly put in my decision matrix.

Fit is more important than brand in a wetsuit. It's often worth paying the premium to get one in a shop where you can try it on. If you do order online, make sure the site has flexible exchange policies.

I'm a new diver as well and don't own a wetsuit (I have everything else except for the tank and weights) because I dive in the tropics and am comfortable in shorts and tshirt. I do however own a pair of SP shorts with pockets. Pockets are awesome and help reduce the amount of gear you have to attach to your BC. Next year I'll probably buy a wetsuit but I'll make sure it has pockets. Deep6 sells a wetsuit with pockets that I'll certainly put in my decision matrix.
Thanks a lot .. and thanks about the pockets tip :)

Fit is more important than brand in a wetsuit. It's often worth paying the premium to get one in a shop where you can try it on. If you do order online, make sure the site has flexible exchange policies.
Will definetly try in a shop thanks a lot

Malta? What is available locally (and even mail order with taxes and shipping) will be different than most of the American advise you will see.

But I will echo what has been said above, fit is key. If it doesn't fit right, it isn't worth it regardless of cost.

As for a 5mm suit, I find that a real good size. Especially for a first/only suit. With modern stretchy neoprene it isn't restrictive as a 7mm but still offers good thermal protection. If you will be pushing the colder side of what a 5mm is good for pay attention to water flushing through the suit. 5mm in stretchy material doesn't need zippers on wrists and ankles, which are normally there to help get into and out of the suit but also are a source of water flushing through the suit. You can boost a 5mm suit for a little colder water with a hooded vest.

For a 5mm suit I got a Henderson Aqualock about 7 years ago. I have been comfortable in that where others were chilled in a 7mm suit. It is on the expensive side of the suits (I had some real good overtime money at the time) but the features are what made it work. Other suits on the market have very similar features if you look at a much better price point. The fit was right (stretchy enough to not be restrictive, but not baggy anyplace either). I can wear it in water all the warm enough that I don't need a suit but also cold enough that I could also be in a drysuit. I think that would be true with an good fitting 5mm suit.

Go to several shops and try on as many as possible. Get the one that fits best or go custom.

As others said its all about fit.

@IslandDan2020 welcome to Scubaboard. I am from Crete/Greece and I'd guess that we get similar temperatures over the year i.e:
Summer around 25ish (with max at the surface surface ~28oC)
Winter around 18ish (with min at the bottom at 16oC)
Spring and Autumn in between.

Most of the time I am using a 5mm two pieces (long john) Cressi Medas wetsuit I bought from planetmultistore.com for around 136euros last year. It seems it is still available for that price:
PLANETMULTISTORE.COM - Cressi Medas 5mm Man | S | Diving - Wetsuits - Dive Wetsuits | Planet Multi Store and I am very happy with it (for the price).

In summer (temperatures 25+oC or so) I use a Seac Sub Relax 2.2mm full body suit. It claims to be 2.2mm but it measures (with calipers) to around 1mm and in water it is actually negatively buoyant. Hence it is more like a rush guard / cloth material instead of neoprene, but it is perfect for summers and for my trips to the tropics (covid permitting). It sells for around 65euros.

When things get cold (reaching 20ish degrees or less), I add a 3mm vest inside my long john and if needed a pair of thin gloves. With those I get cold but managed to dive throughout last winter.

Since last January though I have managed to loose about 1/4 of my weight (I was about 115kg, now I am 90kg or so). Now I am feeling cold much easier even top side hence I doubt I can dive winter temperatures with the long john/west/gloves combination any more. Last dives I did before the lockdown were on the 2nd of November :( (it feels much longer) with 23oC and I was just ok with just my long john. No more diving for us here until further notice hence I don't know how I would cope this year.

As you can tell I am on the low budget side. Of course there are better (and more expensive) options out there but most of them are out of my budget.

For me next step is drysuit. I wouldn't fancy to be wearing more neoprene than a 5mm long john + 3mm vest

All the best...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom