First Scuba Trip--Help with Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Grand Cayman.
What is the most economical way to approach a trip?

Purchase air/hotel package and book dives separately?
Seek dive package and book air separately?
Any suggetions?

Also, any suggestions on where to stay--hotels? dive packages?

We are looking at 5 nights only.

Any more details about your requirements? On the beach? East or West?

General suggestions for trying to keep to a bit of a budget on Cayman include:
  • Do at least some of your diving as shore dives.
  • Check into hotel/dive package combos - usually a better deal than air/hotel.
  • Check alternative departure cities for flights. ATA usually has good rates from Chicago.
  • Look into a room with at least some kitchen facilities. Eating breakfasts and some lunches in can save big.
  • If you can be flexible you might get an incredible deal on an unused timeshare unit. Last minute deals can sometimes be had for peanuts!
  • Keep your boat diving to just one operator adn it will generally get you a better package rate.

Concur on hotel dive package. I would look at Ocean Frontiers or Cobalt and see if they will throw in meals. Any meals will save you lots. Food is a big expense as there are two of you. Might want to add a car rental as everyone drives. They have fairly good bus service, but you can't travel with equipment on board. Seven Mile Beach is cruise ship heaven. Stay away unless you have a specific dive there you want to do. Th east coast is much better and less visited, but all drift dive. Stingray City is a must, especially with video.

East end is a great place for diving, but you will definitely want a car if you plan on seeing Georgetown or any other touristy locations. If you are going just for the diving, I would recommend Cayman Dive Lodge. They are all inclusive, the food and diving are great, and they truly do everything they can to make your stay a pleasure. No phones or TVs in the room, so if you are looking for those kind of amenities, CDL may not be for you. The divemaster crew is so good and fun, that even though my in-laws have a time share at Moritt's, we still do our dives with CDL, and will be doing our dives with CDL again this March.

On a side note, it was mentioned above that east end diving is all drift diving. This is not accurate. There are occasions where a drift dive is offered to the divers, but at least at Cayman Dive Lodge, they go out of their way to look for sites with no current.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom