First run of my new Alkin W31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So day before yesterday, I finally got to run my new compressor. It took a really long time to get to this point and I am doing it for convenience not to save money :rofl3: First deciding on the Alkin took me months and then they shipped it in a timely manner, but then it sat at the transhipper another 2 weeks, slow boat to the island and the 2 weeks to get customs to clear it (long story - I live in a US Territory) then I get it home and spend hours going over all of it. It comes with a bare 3 wire 30 Amp 220. I was waiting many, many weeks till I could get the shed wired (after the solar gets installed :( ) and then decided, since I have to run the generator anyway (yes I was careful of the exhaust) to run the compressor. I filled 5 tanks and I'm happy. To make the day even better I scored over 300 cuft of He AND tanks for $225. Yesterday I picked up an H of O2, now I have to get my booster set up and find someone ON island that will sell me an O2 tank, cause the gas company charges me 0.42 a day rental on the tank.

Attachments

• 20211208_161801.jpg
    20211208_161801.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211208_161809.jpg
    20211208_161809.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211208_162801.jpg
    20211208_162801.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 106
You run your compressor from Solar panels or generator or what?
Right now I'm running it off my generator as I don't have power run to the shed. But once the solar system is in place it will run off the house solar/battery system. Assuming our calculations are correct I'll be able to make enough to handle it easily. It just takes time to get everything done and I wanted to start my own filling.

Right now I'm running it off my generator as I don't have power run to the shed. But once the solar system is in place it will run off the house solar/battery system. Assuming our calculations are correct I'll be able to make enough to handle it easily. It just takes time to get everything done and I wanted to start my own filling.

That will be fantastic to be able to run the compressor from solar panels. I will be following you very closly and I hope that you will succeed in your project. Keep us posted on your progress please.

@TTPaws

I just read your bio on your website, you are from Jamestown, RI!!! I dove there for almost 20 years. I went through my Instructor course, NAUI, at the URI GSO in 1987. What a beautiful place and great diving.

@TTPaws

I just read your bio on your website, you are from Jamestown, RI!!! I dove there for almost 20 years. I went through my Instructor course, NAUI, at the URI GSO in 1987. What a beautiful place and great diving.
I spent many years up there on multiple occasions. I was actually from the Groton CT area. I taught in Stonigton CT and Ft Wetherill before I moved to DC in 16. It was an awesome place to teach, cause of the shallow protected area. I still visit up there, but will probably never dive in that cold of water again :rofl3:

... now I have to get my booster set up and find someone ON island that will sell me an O2 tank, cause the gas company charges me 0.42 a day rental on the tank.
In my area, I can buy O2 tanks that are 122cf or smaller, but the big 244cf tanks are rental only. The same was true when I lived in MA, NY & AZ

I'm waiting on cascade bottles, lines and fittings for mine.

In my area, I can buy O2 tanks that are 122cf or smaller, but the big 244cf tanks are rental only. The same was true when I lived in MA, NY & AZ
Try a different gas company. I own over 60 bulk bottles. all are 200s and 300s. I have never had an issue with the small shop I use now or back when I used airgas.

I just wish I could score a tank or two I could use for O2, and the shipping wouldn't kill me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom