First Regs - AL Core Supreme vs Apex XTX 40/50 vs Apex ATX40?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillm47

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings Scubaboard. As many here in this subforum, I am looking to invest into my first set of regs/bcd. In searching I see many recommendations for HOG, Deep 6...etc. For the regs, being life support, I am more comfortable buying new through my LDS where they can be serviced and tested in my backyard. My LDS offerings in my price range are Aqualung Core Supreme, Apex XTX 40/50 & ATX40.

Which would you recommend out of these?

A little about me. My intended use is quarry's in the midwest (cold water regs) and caribbean diving. I am a 59 year old noobie rec diver. Currently taking classes and building experience to get to AOW by the end of the year (SSI).

xtx50/dst with 5th port if the cost isn't an issue. most flexible setup for the future by adding a 2nd DST with fifth port. atx40/ds4 if you want to save a bit of cash. don't get the low profile octo, get a matching 2nd as an octo.

Thank you. I definitely am getting a matching octo no matter which route. So either Apeks over the Core Supreme?

I have an Aqualung Legend and an Apeks XTX 50 and I'm sold on the Apeks it's the only one I use now. The XTX 50 was almost half the price and I think it breathes better. My wife and son both switched to the XTX 50 as well.

In my case I chose the XTX50 over the ATX40 because the former was available in DIN. The extra $100 also gets you an extra HP port so you can have air integration, and the swivel turret for more convenient hose routing. It's also worth noting that these would be potentially your last regs, as I understand it the XTX50 is used for tech and ice diving. That's what led me to get them. I am kicking myself for not getting the fifth port for a drysuit inflator, but it looks like those are now standard. Definitely think about the tradeoffs of a bit of future proofing.

the atx40/ds4 is available in DIN also. the price difference for the atx40/ds4 vs xtx50/dst also used to be larger, closer to 200 USD. getting the DIN version and 5th port is cheaper from the get-go than adding it on later.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Visiting my LDS yesterday, the owner made me a deal on a regs/bcd/computer setup. The regs were an Apeks XTX50/XTX50 octo setup. He had to order in some of the components for the total package, but let me have the rental gear for free :)

Thanks for everyone’s input. Visiting my LDS yesterday, the owner made me a deal on a regs/bcd/computer setup. The regs were an Apeks XTX50/XTX50 octo setup. He had to order in some of the components for the total package, but let me have the rental gear for free :)

That is a legit setup. You will be pleased.

Put the smaller exhaust vents on your octo if it didn't come configured that way. When I bought mine it came with both sizes.

I am kicking myself for not getting the fifth port for a drysuit inflator,

It is an easy retro fit.

OP, too late now, but I just buy ATX40s. I have some XTXs as well and they are no different really. They confuse people by naming stuff after the second stage when it is the first stage that matters for routing. The choice is DS4 vs DST. The DST has a second HP port, rotating turret and an optional fifth port. For a twinset the DST with 5th port is better as it allows some hoses at right angles to others. However, that is not essential as hoses bend.

In the U.K. a ATX40/DS4 is much cheaper (half?) than an XTX50/DST. They breath exactly the same way, use the same service kits and are almost identical inside.

Back
Top Bottom