First Rebreather - Used Prism 2 - Good Instructor - Is it OK ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a new Prism2 diver (50 hours or so) and my unit has the BOV plumbed to the dil tank.

Are you talking about plumbing the BOV to the bailout? Using a quick disconnect or something? Usually the training process involves handing off and/or ditch + retrieving the bailout tank.
Yes, plugging the BOV to offboard bailout, most often with a QC6. Male side on the cylinder, female side on the unit.

Yes, plugging the BOV to offboard bailout, most often with a QC6. Male side on the cylinder, female side on the unit.
I have an opposite configuration. Male side on the BOV and female side on the cylinder.

I have an opposite configuration. Male side on the BOV and female side on the cylinder.
Your way is the way Swagelok specifies flow. It generally is not the way teams (KUR, OCDA, most of N FL) have standardized. The initial reason (I believe) was the ability to "clear" debris out of the male side easily but not the male side, especially in sediment heavy conditions and with staged bottles. E.g pushing the male nipple against the cylinder wall will blow out sand and particulate from the quick connect but the same is not true for the female side.

Usually the training process involves handing off and/or ditch + retrieving the bailout tank.
In real life you can use the long hose (7') in case you have to donate air to your buddy and keep your BOV connected as well. You still need QC6 to plug/unplug BOV easily from BO tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom