First Rebreather Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piranhaman00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I want to use this thread to ask questions as they arise before purchasing my first unit. I realize a lot of this is opinionated and beat to death.

The unit is the Kiss Spirit. The idea is for diving deeper wrecks in Lake Michigan. No caves in forecast.

My current issue is the DSV/BOV. The LDS rebreather divers, including instructor, use DSV, I feel like I would prefer a BOV. KISS website lists the Poseidon and Hollis as an option, my research leads me to the Poseidon. Is this BOV compatible with the KISS?

The Poseidon has an ADV built into the BOV. Will the impact the ADV on the kiss unit itself? @tbone1004

Thanks

The local dives that use a bov on a kiss unit all use th golem one.

Dsv vs bov is personal preference, the important thing is to have a breathable oc gas in that area, not tucked along a tank.

KISS offers their units with a Poseidon BOV (per their option picker?) and IMHO it's the best BOV available. It is tiny (especially compared to the GG), breathes great and has an integrated ADV that you could use instead of the stock KISS one (sump head yeah!). Be aware if you ever plan to run a NERD it requires custom parts to mount.

That being said, I run a DSV with an XSTREAM on a necklace.

How deep?

The Hollis BOV works fine as is. The spirit has an ADV and that would likely need to be removed to use the Possiden. Perhaps it is better, but consider learning on the stock unit for a while before customizing it.

I wrestled with this for a long time - no I have BOV i wouldn't go back - its quick it's simple and a new gas source is immediate

Hello,

I want to use this thread to ask questions as they arise before purchasing my first unit. I realize a lot of this is opinionated and beat to death.

The unit is the Kiss Spirit. The idea is for diving deeper wrecks in Lake Michigan. No caves in forecast.

My current issue is the DSV/BOV. The LDS rebreather divers, including instructor, use DSV, I feel like I would prefer a BOV. KISS website lists the Poseidon and Hollis as an option, my research leads me to the Poseidon. Is this BOV compatible with the KISS?

The Poseidon has an ADV built into the BOV. Will the impact the ADV on the kiss unit itself? @tbone1004

Thanks
BOV is fine with the KISS. You can disable the ADV built into the KISS or when you order it ask them to remove it. It's a bit weird if both are connected but will still function

My thoughts are to just keep it simple and get a DSV.
BOV can be added later as an upgrade.

This is not an option that you are locked into. Dive the rebreather first, get a feel for things, then it will make deciding on what upgrades would apply best for you.

This is not an option that you are locked into. Dive the rebreather first, get a feel for things, then it will make deciding on what upgrades would apply best for you.
I disagree with the idea that the DSV option is simple.

I dive a Kiss Spirit and the unit is best configured with a BOV. As designed, the KISS has an offboard connector to your bailout (a 40cf usually) and it feeds the ADV, BOV and the Inflator for the wing. This keeps the configuration very simple with a small O2 tank mounted on the unit and the 40cf acting as diluent, inflation, and bailout. You do need to keep topping off your bailout bottle, so having several to rotate or investing in a booster to refill them.

The Hollis BOV that is standard for the Kiss is pretty good. It is simple to tear down for cleaning & service. The 2nd stage is a very basic unbalanced model which is good because it is rock solid simple. It needs very little attention over the years and keeps on working. It's not the best breather, but its only intended for short duration use. You'll have a (hopefully) better quality 2nd stage on your bailout for more extended use.

As @Whitrzac mentioned, the GG (or Subgravity now) BOV is a good option as well. I have one on my CCR and have no complaints. The built-in second stage is Apeks and is easy to service. The BOV itself is pretty robust and machined from Delrin.

The local dives that use a bov on a kiss unit all use th golem one.

Dsv vs bov is personal preference, the important thing is to have a breathable oc gas in that area, not tucked along a tank.

Understood. It would seem that a BOV is faster switch.

KISS offers their units with a Poseidon BOV (per their option picker?) and IMHO it's the best BOV available. It is tiny (especially compared to the GG), breathes great and has an integrated ADV that you could use instead of the stock KISS one (sump head yeah!). Be aware if you ever plan to run a NERD it requires custom parts to mount.

That being said, I run a DSV with an XSTREAM on a necklace.

Yes, per the website which is not updated anymore I am told, they offer the Hollis and Poseidon. I have read that people really like them, but I am trying to keep everything simple.

How deep?

The Hollis BOV works fine as is. The spirit has an ADV and that would likely need to be removed to use the Possiden. Perhaps it is better, but consider learning on the stock unit for a while before customizing it.

My current plan for use is in the 100 - 130 ft mark as a max. I do like your point about the simplicity of the Hollis.

I wrestled with this for a long time - no I have BOV i wouldn't go back - its quick it's simple and a new gas source is immediate

I believe that is the direction I want to take, thanks for input!

BOV is fine with the KISS. You can disable the ADV built into the KISS or when you order it ask them to remove it. It's a bit weird if both are connected but will still function

Thanks!

I disagree with the idea that the DSV option is simple.

I dive a Kiss Spirit and the unit is best configured with a BOV. As designed, the KISS has an offboard connector to your bailout (a 40cf usually) and it feeds the ADV, BOV and the Inflator for the wing. This keeps the configuration very simple with a small O2 tank mounted on the unit and the 40cf acting as diluent, inflation, and bailout. You do need to keep topping off your bailout bottle, so having several to rotate or investing in a booster to refill them.

The Hollis BOV that is standard for the Kiss is pretty good. It is simple to tear down for cleaning & service. The 2nd stage is a very basic unbalanced model which is good because it is rock solid simple. It needs very little attention over the years and keeps on working. It's not the best breather, but its only intended for short duration use. You'll have a (hopefully) better quality 2nd stage on your bailout for more extended use.

Great points. I want simplicity but I really am leaning toward a BOV.

As @Whitrzac mentioned, the GG (or Subgravity now) BOV is a good option as well. I have one on my CCR and have no complaints. The built-in second stage is Apeks and is easy to service. The BOV itself is pretty robust and machined from Delrin.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom