First LX10 outing - Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
'First outing with my new LX10, Nauticam housing, and SubSee +10. Some with Sea and Sea YS-90(s), most with Inon S-2000(s).
This was a short notice 6 night dive trip added to a week of business travel, with not much time on the camera before hand. Stayed at Casa Escondida and dove with Dennis Corpuz/Anilao Critters.

Google Photos

Thanks! Lovely pictures, I am debating between the LX10 or the Sony RX100V and was looking for some photos taken with the LX10 but could not find any....but glad I did!

Some absolutely gorgeous pics. I just dumped the rx100 series as a potential buy while researching and zoomed in to the LX10 as my next camera - but finding it hard to justify the expense considering the limited diving I do. Hows the experience with one touch WB UW? Do you have any sample videos? DId you buy the cam and Nauticam housing locally? Any good deals on the set?

Thanks again
P

Wow DSR-3 those macro shots in Anilao are stunning professional shots. Great showcase for LX10 macro capability with a +10 diopter! I’m preparing for a trip to Bangka/Lembeh and was thinking of getting the AOI-UCL-09 +12.5 or Nauticam CMC-2 +12 with a flip holder for my LX10 with Ikelite housing (Inon D2000 strobe and VL4000P video light with Ultralight 8 and 5 inch arms).

I hear a lot about how difficult it is to find focus point with shallow DOF of higher power macro lens. How easy/difficult did you find it to focus and light your macro subjects with the Subsea +10 and why that choice of brand over the others mentioned here?

Many thanks, Alex

Sorry I don't check back here and look to have notifications off... Thanks for all the comments and kind words.

I've done 1 other trip since then Cozumel 2019. I was trying a UWL-H100, but honestly don't recall which shots had it...

No special deal on the hardware (ex. no tax, which counts!), but got good service buying from Optical Ocean Sales.

I didn't find focusing especially challenging (but I came from an E-PL1...). Having a tracking bracket alone is a huge improvement for me.

I chose the SubSee mostly because I liked the first one I had and lost... It might be nice to have something more compact/light. I'm not fully sold on the flip mount- I think the effect of moving the lens further out warrants more testing.

Re. arms; plan for flotation. I found that 8" x 60mm float arms and 5" Al arms with Stix was pretty good.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the system, and love that I can "carry-on" everything. I just need more opportunities to use it!

Hi DSR-3,

What's a tracking bracket and how do I use that option with my LX10+Ikelite housing?

On the UWL-H100, how did you find the ability to zoom in a bit past 30mm for framing or further distance opportunities? Did you find you were able to do that at all without losing sharpness or focus lock with this wide lens? Were you using the dome?

On flip mounts, I dry land tested the Saga flip with an AOI UCL-09 and Nauticam CMC-2 and found no problems when zoomed in as recommended on macros. Liked the balance of convenience without quality loss.

Cheers

On flip mounts, I dry land tested the Saga flip with an AOI UCL-09 and Nauticam CMC-2 and found no problems when zoomed in as recommended on macros. Liked the balance of convenience without quality loss.

Cheers

Test on land is not a reliable indication of performance in water and you should be careful at drawing conclusion
The water interface will affect working distance as well as chromatic aberrations
All wet lenses achieve magnification working at full zoom and reducing the working distance

Thanks for the tip Interceptor. So if on a macro dry test for example working distance was 6-10cm, what is it likely to be in water and does that change with depth?

'First outing with my new LX10, Nauticam housing, and SubSee +10. Some with Sea and Sea YS-90(s), most with Inon S-2000(s).
This was a short notice 6 night dive trip added to a week of business travel, with not much time on the camera before hand. Stayed at Casa Escondida and dove with Dennis Corpuz/Anilao Critters.

Google Photos
Love the pics! Were all the macro shots on this album uncropped or cropped? Were the Rhinopius/Ambon Scorpion fish and frogfish also taken with the +10 diopter or just the LX10 native? Thx

Thanks for the tip Interceptor. So if on a macro dry test for example working distance was 6-10cm, what is it likely to be in water and does that change with depth?
It is not possible to determine the loss of effectiveness in water without testing as the design is not the same however you can test this in a sink in fresh water and it is not related to depth

Back
Top Bottom