First International Dive Trip - Belize in May - Advice Welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surf n Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I will be on the Caribbean side of Belize sometime between May 23 - May 28. I'm 29, M, and traveling solo and I am undecided as to stay in Caye Caulker or San Pedro. I would like to stay somewhere I could meet other people my age but I am also focused on good diving experiences. Where would you recommend I spend my time? Also what sites would you recommend I dive? I would like to do at least three (3) two (2) tank dives. I only have 5 days to spend in the Caribbean unfortunately.

Regarding equipment, I am bringing a large backpackers backpack for my 10 day trip to Belize. I'm wondering if I should bring my Reg setup or just rent all gear. I feel like common sense is bring your own reg and dive watch if you got it (I guess I question bringing it due to weight carrying it around and value if it were to be stolen). Sorry for the newbie question and thanks for your help.

Any other advice you could give a international dive newbie going solo is welcome. I of course plan on buddying up with someone. Still researching dive shops though because not sure where I'm going to stay yet.

I haven't been to Caye Caulker, although I've heard great things. I do think that San Pedro seems like an easy place to travel alone. Fellow divers were very friendly when I was there, and the island was small enough that one might bump into your divemates later in the evening. The dive masters seemed awfully friendly as well (hmm ... might have helped that I was in a group with four women?). I'd suggest going to the "Chicken Drop." It's held one night a week at a bar in town (I don't remember either, but it can't be hard to find). You buy raffle tickets that represent one of 100 squares on a big piece of plywood. If the chicken poops on your square, you win! It's a riot, and seems like a "must" for a real international, something-you-won't-find-at-home type of experience.

If you have room for your reg and are strong enough to be hauling a backpack around, I'd say bring it. But you could obviously rent there, if space is limited and you have the extra funds.

Have a blast!

You'll find good equipment available for rental, so there's no need to bring anything other than your mask (a very personal fit) and computer (so you have a record of your dives). If you also bring a snorkel and a pair of lighweight fins you'll be set for getting into the sea wherever you wish. On Caye Caulker I'd dive with Belize Diving Services, and no-one else. On Ambergris Caye you're spoiled for choice, but my personal favourite is Island Divers.

In San Pedro (which is on Ambergris Caye) the best place for you to stay would be Pedro's Inn. They have ultra-cheap hostel rooms, but also rather more upmarket ones. It's ideal if you're travelling alone, as there's always a good crowd there and you'll get to meet lots of people. I honestly can't think of anywhere else here with those particular qualities.

On Caye Caulker I really have no idea. Most accommodation there is in cheap hotels were you may never speak to another soul. You'll probably rely on whoever you meet in the local bars and that tends to be drawn from only a restricted cross-section of visitors. But if you want to stay there I'd contact Chip at BDS and ask for his advice.

I stayed on Caye Caulker when I first came to Belize ten years ago, but to be honest I found it too quiet for me. There's far more variety in SP.

Welcome to the boards Surf & Scuba (my hobbies as well!),

If you choose to go to San Pedro, I will be there with a group of about 50 other divers during that time frame. Many of us will be in your age bracket, myself included. We are basically taking over a large chunk of the banana beach resort on the south end of San Pedro. Stop by or join us for a dive if you'd like (and if there's room on the boats. We will be diving Sunday-Friday with some people taking a break on Wednesday. You'll probably see us in town in the evenings as well. We are all coming from SoCal as well so there is a good chance you'll meet some people that you'll see on the local dive boats in CA. We will be there from May 19-27.

Clammy,

Thank you for the offer. I am excited for the trip and I will arrive in Belize on Friday. I'm headed first out east to San Ignacio to do some jungle adventures but I will be on the coast probably mid week next week. I am leaning towards Caye Caulker but I haven't booked any accomodations and I am going to wing it. Always the most fun that way :)

Clammy,

Thank you for the offer. I am excited for the trip and I will arrive in Belize on Friday. I'm headed first out east to San Ignacio to do some jungle adventures but I will be on the coast probably mid week next week. I am leaning towards Caye Caulker but I haven't booked any accomodations and I am going to wing it. Always the most fun that way :)

Sounds fun! If you make your way to San Pedro, we'll be there! Most of us will be flying in on saturday morning/afternoon.

Clammy et. al,

Have you or anyone else dived Placencia? I read that May is a good time to observe whale sharks while diving out of Placencia. My schedule is really up in the air (besides a few days in San Ignacio). I think diving the reefs out of Caye Caulker or San Pedro is probably best but diving with whale sharks sounds very tempting.

You're going to be there the at the wrong time. You'll only see Whale Sharks when the Cubera Snapper spawn after a full moon.

Splash Belize in Placencia shows:
Our 2012 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates;

• March 8th - March 18th
• April 6th - April 16th
• May 6th - May 16th
• June 4th - June 14rd
Whale Shark Dive Trips|Gladden Spit|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize

Ralph Capeling of Splash posts here often so you might contact him. Here's a thread he maintains on this years results: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/416903-whale-shark-sighting-2012-a.html

There are some inexpensive rentals in Placencia - we found one that was beachfront that was reasonable - Diannis Guesthouse.

Also the trip out to Gladden Spit to try to find Whale Sharks runs $190 for a 2 tank dive. And there's no guarantee. You seem to be on a budget so...

Back
Top Bottom