First hand account of being trapped in an underwater cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found the article by mere chance on BBC News today. Rather unusual topic on such a website I should say. Follow the link and be wise.

Two days in an underwater cave

Thanks for posting this! I had previously seen this story, but had been unable to find it again.

You're welcome and that's what a forum is made for : exchanging !

Anybody is free to decide to do what is best for him. Just a reminder though : you'll never start a cave diving training with such a complicated dive and btw it was exploring which tends to complicate matters even more.

First time I read the story, it reaffirms i will stick to open water
+1 on that. Cave diving photos fascinate me with the beauty and clarity, but just looking at them raises my anxiety and starts my heart pumping.

So gorgeous those caves. I'm sorry that I won't ever see them in person. I too get a rapid heart rate just looking at pictures, and while watching videos my chest tightens up.

Kudos to him for staying calm through all that and to his friends who never gave up.

+1 on that. Cave diving photos fascinate me with the beauty and clarity, but just looking at them raises my anxiety and starts my heart pumping.

Given the wrong weather conditions, that wonderful clarity can turn into diving in a tube of what looks like chocolate milk in a matter of minutes. You don't know what anxiety and heart pumping is until you go through that experience, and it is one that I don't wish on anybody. Nothing I saw in 70+ cave dives in the mid 60s was worth that one time experience. Been there, done that, and won't do it again.

Last edited:
First time I read the story, it reaffirms i will stick to open water

Me too - unless there are a few more redundant safety systems in place. Those guys are braver than I am.

If I were cave diving, I'd have two lines for redundancy. One would be heaver than water, one lighter, so that they would tend to stay away from each other and not be vulnerable to the same problems.

I'd have a compass and map.

Also, if I were cave diving one kilometer as these guys apparently were, I'd have emergency depots every two hundred or so yards: a spare tank, a spare flashlight, a basic medical kit, a spare compass, and a couple of chocolate bars.

But maybe I'm just paranoid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom