First gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get my own gear at somepoint, but I'm a student and have a lack of money.
I was thinking of getting a dive package such as this one: Scubapro Go BCD & Aqualung Titan LX Supreme (1HP Port) Reg Package | DeepBlue Dive

What do you think? Rent gear or get something like this to start of diving with?

Also what's the best regulator for cold water diving? I heard scubapro is rubbish as they free flow easily?

Kelly

Question:

Where do you intend to do the most of your diving?

If the answer is UK, I would suggest that the first priority is to sort out your exposure equipment.

So for a first drysuit, Seaskin would be a good bet and get yourself 4th Element underwear. Now the First element stuff is expensive so what I'd do in your case is get the ARCTIC socks and then when money is available get the Xerotherm top and bottoms. For a first undersuit perhaps an Otter 200 minimum (there are better options but they cost a lot more money). If you get the socks Xerotherm and undersuit you'll have a combination that works pretty much all year round though you might have to curtail your dive times when it's really cold.

Rent everything else until funds are available. Spend wisely on exposure stuff - if you follow what I have said you won't be buying twice.

Regs : Apeks TX 50 - they are solid cold water regs and can be picked up second hand at reasonable prices. If you go the second hand route budget for a service to make sure all is well. There are some Scubapro regs that work very well but they are more expensive which is why I suggested the Apeks.

Gloves are difficult - I'd go for a pair of Cressi 5mm wetgloves. They are flexible and reasonably warm, cheap but won't last too long but they will be ideal for learning.

BC - personally I'd opt for a Backplate and Wing so I cannot offer any reasonable advice in this regard.

Computer - a Suunto Vyper. Reliable and can be picked up cheaply.

Fins - Scubapro Jet fins - they'll last a long time !

Hood - Beaver hoods are cheap and work very well. I have tried more expensive hoods and found the Beaver works well for me but that's a personal preference.

Mask - Oceanic shadow fits most people.

Can't beat that advice as I'm not in the UK. Dive in similar conditions but also have other gear options that may not be available in the UK unless you want to buy from overseas.

I will heartily second the BPW. You can put one together over here with used components cheap. Probably able to do the same in Ireland.

Everyone has personal preferences, so before laying out a lot of money for your equipment, I think the following are important:
1. As noted above, buy equipment suitable for the environment and conditions in which it will get the most use.
2. Try it out, and see if you like it. BCD vs BPW, for example.
3. As for a cold water regulator, there are a few good options. Again, ask people who dive where and under the conditions you will be doing most of your diving.
4. Be aware that some people will make recommendations to you based on their experience with one type of gear, or a single equipment manufacturer. It's ok for them to describe it and relay to you their experience with it, but filter out the "this is the best" comments unless they have a basis for comparison. DivemasterDennis

I would also agree on looking at exposure protection first. You can rent / borrow and try out other gear and make decisions accordingly.

When I dive in Scotland I use my Mares Abyss regulator, works well in cold water.

Thankyou...
Yeah think my own drysuit and thermal stuff is more important...but i know nothing about drysuits. Done my orientation but....when it comes to buying one..

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

I've never used a BP and wings before...

Thankyou...
Yeah think my own drysuit and thermal stuff is more important...but i know nothing about drysuits. Done my orientation but....when it comes to buying one..

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

I've never used a BP and wings before...
most important thing with a drysuit is fit. If it's too big, air can be trapped in places, making it harder to vent, followed by an uncontrolled ascent from depth. Made to measure is the best option (which is why I suggested seaskin suits in the drysuit thread you started. They are the cheapest MTM around, costing about the same as off the peg typhoons and a few other brands. They're a good suit, especially for the price). Main thing to consider is membrane or neoprene suit. Other things to consider are options: pockets (I suggest pockets on the side. Easier to store stuff in a drysuit pocket than a bc pocket), type of seal (latex, silicon, or neoprene. I prefer latex. Your preference may be different. Neoprene neck seals for females aren't the best option due to head-neck ratio), dry gloves (I prefer dry gloves at ths time of year.One of my buddies prefers wet gloves), zip covers, pee valves, type of boot, etc.
i wear a seaskin nova (which is a membrane suit). At this time of year, I wear an otter tech 300 undersuit and 4th element base layer, with arctic socks. Did 2 dives today, and with the exception of my hands on the second dive, I was warm in the 5 deg C water.
if you want a cheap way to hire/borrow kit, join a club. If you're in Uni, chances are there is a dive club. If its bsac, it's dirt cheap to join for the year for students. And a lot of Uni clubs, have free or very cheap kit hire.
i would also personally opt for a backplate and wing. You don't need any special training to dive one, works just like a standard bc.
Regs: apeks are cheap and cheerful. Good regs as well.
computer: used suunto gekko, zoop, or vyper.

Hi Kellykins,

I run the BSAC South Scotland regional training sessions over on Loch Fyne. The Edinburgh clubs are regular participants, both the Uni and ordinary clubs.

A properly fitting wet-suit will do, but once out of the water a dry-suit wins. And especially when it comes to a second dive.

There are quite a few UK dry-suit manufacturers, any one is suitable for Scottish waters. People will always suggest the brand they use - including me (Otter Ultimate neoprene). In essence there are two types:

• Neoprene, where the suit provided the thermal protection.
  • Membrane, where thermal clothing is warn underneath.

If you PM me I can put you in contact with someone, on the East coast, who can rent you a suit.

Regs, any reg sold in the UK is rated for UK waters – its a legal requirement. Again individual preferences prevail. Scubapro are good regs, but expensive, I use a Sherwood as its air-balanced. Apex are OK and very common.

Other kit gets even more influenced by personal preferences.

See here to find your local BSAC Branch (club).

All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom