first drysuit boat dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coastiehelimech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK I've been diving dry for a year now. All shore dives. I have my first boat dive this weekend out at Catalina.

My question is how do you enter the water in a drysuit w/o the neck seal blowing open with a rush of air as you enter the water? Does this allow a sgnifica nt amount of water in?

Do you burp the suit before diving? We had a thread a while back about using a vacuum sealer. Regardless burping should work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In your drysuit class they taught you to kneel down and hug yourself while pressing the dump valve and squeeze out as much air as possible. The suit should be as empty of air as you can make it. Giant stride off the boat and should not have a problem, assuming of course you have all the zippers closed properly. You will have some puffyness in the sleeves and top and raising the arm while on the surface will take care of that. I have never had it be an issue if I purged the suit of air as best I could on the deck.

Is Tebo-ing still a current fad ? That position plus depressing the dump valve will help burp your suit. Haven't you been doing that all along ?

What I do is open up the valve completely, lift up my neck seal a little, and then hug myself (and crouch) with the neck seal lifted so all air comes out.

Never have had a seal problem with any type of entry in a drysuit, even with air in my drysuit.

Like the others posted, if you've burped your suit, and open your valve completely before jumping into the water, you're not going to blow up your neck seal. I've done plenty of ocean boat dives and river boat dives in my drysuit and have never blow up my neck seal enough to allow water to enter.

Let us know how your first boat dive goes. I have only dived Catalina as a shore dive not a boat dive. Have a great time and safe dives!

I have jumped off a dock, a 10 foot drop without problem with a burped suit.
When you hug yourself pull your neck seal, it's much faster and efficient.

Thanks a ton to all the responses! Yes I have been burping my suit before each dive. Just thought a sudden immersion in water would make any air left in suit fart out the neck. Once again thanks to all. Should be a fun dive.

Back
Top Bottom