First Diving Suit for Northern New England Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings Divers,

As promised, here is my inquiry seeking your advice on acquiring my first diving suit. I live in NH, and our miniature coastline of 18 miles boasts water temps that vary from 35 degrees in February to 62 degrees in August. I wore a drysuit for my OW certification dive in February, off the coast of Cape Ann, MA. It was awesome. Then I went to Belize and dove nonstop for a week, without any suit at all. When I returned, I swore I would keep at it, but life got in the way. Now, seven years later, I am determined to get back into it and progress substantially prior to a planned Roatan trip next year.

Now that my dive computer choice is made (thank you all for the spirited discussion), my next focus is on making the best decision for my first diving suit. I am hoping to purchase both together from my LDS, unless I end up going with a used suit. This suit will be for local diving, both ocean and freshwater, which is not much warmer in these parts.

From what I have read on our forum, the logical first question appears to be whether I start with a 7-8 mil wetsuit, a semi-dry suit, or cut to the chase and look for a drysuit, either new or used. Beyond this, I have few preconceived notions and I would appreciate whatever guidance you wish to offer.

A few things about me: I am not much of an upgrader, so I would rather get a quality suit that will serve me well for a while, not something as just a transition for a brief time. However, my lack of diving experience makes me leery of simply biting the bullet and buying a top-of-the-line new drysuit, the same way I felt uncomfortable getting a very expensive dive computer as my first. It may be a valid exercise of "buy once, cry once," but it will be an ocean of tears. Finally, by nature, I have a pretty good tolerance for the cold, but I am pushing 60 and I don't know how long that is going to last.

I am all ears.

Thank you very much for your input.

Seems as if you have already made up your mind. I'd you are looking for confirmation of your decision... My input says drysuit.

You don't have to spend thousands. But make sure you buy something that fits well. That will check the box for local New England diving. If you only plan on traveling to warmer climates, then save your money.

For warmer months a 7mm will work for shallower dives. For colder months and actual deep dives drysuit is recommended.

Never used a semi dry so I have no clue, in fact I usually use my drysuit.

The key is fit, fit and fit.

Quality dry suit is far far more expensive than any DC you can think of and also far more complicated than you would imagine!!!!
Material, under-garment, seal, wet or dry gloves, overboot(new pair of fins to fit that) etc etc.

How often you plan to dive in NH or somewhere nearby? This is the determining factor for dry suit.
Join the local dive club or talk to them.

7mm wet suit is absolutely useless in tropical warm water and equally a 3mm one is waste of time in cold water.

This suit would only be for local diving.

I would probably plan on going a few times a month. I live about an hour and a half from the ocean.

I would probably plan on going a few times a month. I live about an hour and a half from the ocean.

What time of year?

A drysuit is usable year long, a wetsuit in your situation is not. Go for the drysuit!

search for Seaskin here in the exposure forum.

Is there any diving club within reasonable driving distance?
Seek advice from them.

What time of year?

We live in NH year round, so as often as the conditions will allow. I'd rather be diving than skiing.

Is there any diving club within reasonable driving distance?
Seek advice from them.

My impression is that my LDS has it's finger on the pulse, so I will be connecting with them. i was just hoping to get my bearings here before I start the conversation with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom