First dives after certification nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone,
Thanks for all the input and encouragement. I am really looking forward to this trip. To answer some of the questions from you all. We will be staying at Scuba Club Cozumel. They have an onsite PADI dive shop. All dives are led by DM's. The group that I am traveling with is suppose to have the same boat and crew all week. I am sure that will help with some of my anxiety. I know that most of the people I am traveling with are experienced divers I think my husband and are the only newbies. I don't want to hold back the rest of the folks because of our inexperience. Maybe I will sit out the first dive of the day and get a tan and do the 2nd shallower dive. I will just have to see how it goes. Who knows the minute I get into water where I can actually see my fear may go away. I have checked with the dive shop and they will allow us to wear gloves. Have already bought small slates. Had some misunderstandings during cert dives. Don't want that to happen again so slate is a must for me. I will let you all know how it goes.:fishy:

I'm kind of surprised about the gloves thing. Did anyone else think that they were forbidden in Coz? What about Roatan?

I had also read that gloves were forbidden in Coz that is why I checked with the scuba shop before going out and buying them. They did tell me that you are not allowed to pick-up anything but that you can wear them for protection.

You guys give great advice. I thought the best overall statements basically conveyed that you are better off communicating with your companions and your divemaster. If everyone knows you are a little nervous you will have all the help you need if it is required. People will also be a lot more understanding if you turn out to be an air hog or have to abort early. The worst thing you can do is not tell anyone you are nervous or green.

Scuba Nurse,
My first open ocean dives were at Scuba Club Cozume - I was also nervous- see my earlier posts to you. The DMs were terrific. I was thinking I would only do the second shallower dive also. But I took the chance- and the clear beautiful water and great DMs made all the difference. They watched out for me and pointed out so many creatures to me.
I can't wait to get back to Scuba Club Cozumel- it was such a wonderful experience!
Have a blast. I didn't wear gloves because I was a little afraid they might cut down on my sense of touch and no way did I want to touch any of that gorgeous coral and injure it.
Have fun!
Diana

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...

Walls are cool, I saw my first one on Grand Turk. It's not as scary as you imagine. The wall usually isn't perfectly vertical, coral and sponges don't grow that way, the wall will have some topography. When you look down you will see BLUE. It literally looks like you're in front of a blue screen like the weather people on t.v. use. It actually looks FAKE. When you are diving along the wall you're usually close enough that you don't notice the blue, you're looking for fish, eels, shrimp, etc. and it feels just like a dive over any other coral head. Remember to look out into the blue occasionally, you may see a turtle or some other critter swim by!

I actually did my OW dives on Grand Turk with Oasis Divers a few years ago. I wanted to go their since one of my college friends grew up in the TCI and I wanted to see it. To start off I am totally chicken when it comes to hieghts on land, so I was kind of scared about going "off the wall". However my instructor down there, Derek, and later my dive master, Alissio, were great and made sure we started out easily then went further down the wall later. I really had no problems with the depth. As said above looking down it just gets darker and bluer. As long as you have some point of refernce to land there is no problem. I however found I got a bit of vertigo when I looked straight out in to the ocean. It is a really odd feeling that is very hard to explain, but at the same time fun. You know you are not going to fall so the worry factor is not their, but the vertigo does still set in.

Have a great time and don't worry about the wall. I am sure you will see some wonderful stuff and have spectacular vacation.

Jason
=-)

We went with Oasis Divers too! That is so cool you did your OW dives there! Grand Turk was a lot of "firsts" for me including my first dive: in warm water, in salt water, on a wall, deep dive (100 feet) and my first 60 minute dive as well as my first time kissing a grouper!

Odd feeling is right, it's like being in a dark room with the lights on! Figure that one out :)
Ber :bunny:

I guess my comments are going to differ from others. If you are concerned with your buoyancy control skills I would suggest doing something about it before you go on the trip. Having the skills down pat will make dealing with a new environment much easier. Talk to your instructor. Maybe you can spend some time in the pool. IMO, confidence can be everything. Diving like many other activities is mostly a head game. To quote someone (I don't know who) "Think you can, think you can't, either way you are right".

Enjoy the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom