First dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kristina Kaschke

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I will be going to Beaches resort in November. I’m looking for recommendations on a camera that I can attract to my head to catch the footage. This will be the first time we’ve scuba dived so I don’t want to spend a fortune but want something that will do a good job catching the footage.

I've seen lots of divers with headmounted GoPros using a strap system. Flip it on prior to the dive and just let it run. Cut out the stuff you don't need when you're in front of your computer with your preferred video editing software on the screen.

If you are going scuba diving for the first time you don't need to be taking care of a camera.

True but if she's just going to strap it on her head and splash and not have to think about it, how bad can it be. Not much if anything in the way of task overloading other than some pre-dive preparation.

Edited to add. If it's the "very first time" they've scuba dived then we might be talking about a discover scuba course in which case I doubt the camera would even be allowed.

True but if she's just going to strap it on her head and splash and not have to think about it, how bad can it be. Not much if anything in the way of task overloading other than some pre-dive preparation.

Edited to add. If it's the "very first time" they've scuba dived then we might be talking about a discover scuba course in which case I doubt the camera would even be allowed.

I took a go pro with me on my discover dive, the guide did not care.

If you are a new diver on your own how ever i don't think you should be taking a go pro or any other camera, juts focus on the dive.

A head strap is better yes but i find them unreliable, heard of many people who lost their cameras that way as it tends to slip off.

i would have to agree that a headmounted camera of any sort is suitable for little more than motion sickness. mounted on a stick or possibly a glove would be much better.

I found this page that does seem to suggest it's a DSD, but doesn't clarify whether a camera is allowed: Unlimited Scuba Diving Courses at Our Resorts | Beaches

You might contact the resort and see whether there's an option to have someone take underwater photos of you during your dive. A friend of mine did that on her DSD with her boyfriend in Australia before they got certified, and now they have a really cool pic of the two of them with the Great Barrier Reef, hanging on the wall of their apartment, and it looks much better than literally anything I've squeezed out of my GoPro in all my diving so far. I went to a Sandals resort for my honeymoon and while I wasn't able to dive, they had professional photographers all over the place; I bought several of the candid photos they snapped of us in front of the sunset on the beach. I'm guessing for what you'd spend on an underwater camera, you could pay someone to get much better pictures or footage with you in it.

I got my daughter an Octomask which is a mask that has a mount for a GoPro built in. Also got her a GoPro session, which is a smaller gopro. Have used it once, video is actually quite good and it was continuously rolling so she did not have to multi-task at all. We just did the video editing at the end to narrow it down to the cool stuff. Couple of hundred dollar investment between the mask and the GoPro but worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/OCTOMASK-GoP...ocphy=9027422&hvtargid=pla-310193521137&psc=1

Attachments

• 515TyrYL7LL.jpg
    515TyrYL7LL.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom