First Dive -Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsulman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in the Galapagos islands where we did a lot of snorkeling and were inspired to take up scuba diving for our next vacation. For our next vacation we'd like to go on a 4-5 day dive trip where we can complete our OW certification and have a day or two to do some OW dives afterwards. We want to go sometime in October or early November. We have free airline vouchers on US Airways to fly anywhere in the continental US, Caribbean, and Central America. We would like to know where you recommend we go and which dive companies you recommend learning to dive with. Any suggestions and advice are welcomed. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in the Galapagos islands where we did a lot of snorkeling and were inspired to take up scuba diving for our next vacation. For our next vacation we'd like to go on a 4-5 day dive trip where we can complete our OW certification and have a day or two to do some OW dives afterwards. We want to go sometime in October or early November. We have free airline vouchers on US Airways to fly anywhere in the continental US, Caribbean, and Central America. We would like to know where you recommend we go and which dive companies you recommend learning to dive with. Any suggestions and advice are welcomed. Thank you.

Oct-Nov are not the best time to go to the Caribbean or Central America as it is the rainy season. You are looking at probably the worst weather of the year or maybe a great week, no way to predict either way. Prices are usually cheaper during this time for that reason.

For a 4-5 day trip you are limiting your choices, too. If you can, do the classroom and pool part of your certification at home, then you only have to do the 2 days (4 OW dives) in training at your destination.

Florida Keys might be a good place for you - you can get in your certification dives and some futher dives while there. You won't waste alot of time traveling there either. Just fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, rent a car and drive south to Key Largo. Water is clear and calm which is great for training and excellent for newbies in particular. You might still have the weather issues, but if you do have bad weather it probably won't cancel diving for a whole week, maybe a day at most.
I would look at:
Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving
www.itsadive.com
Scuba Diving Key Largo Florida scuba Diving Upper Keys Snorkeling

robin:D

Hi everyone,

When we returned from the Galapagos last May, it was our inspiration to get into diving as well... We took an 8 day cruise on the Evolution... Magical world over their!

Its was a month into 50 when we started our certification and both of us are now in possession of our AOW. We are heading to Roatan this next month but that is little help to you. I trust you will find help from others who will have more experience diving in Oct and Nov....

Good luck and enjoy, lee

You might consider Southern California. October should still be pleasant weather and may have very good viz, and the water will still be reasonably warm (not tropical warm, but not dry suit cold). Lodging can be had reasonably, and there is comparatively wide availability of very good dive instruction there. There are lots of charter boats, and the diving in the Channel Islands and off Catalina is as good as you'll find almost anywhere.

My personal recommendation would be for one of the Southern California instructors teaching for Unified Team Diving. I know a couple of them personally, and they are very good divers and good people. I have had the pleasure of diving with people they have started, and they do a VERY good job.

This isn't exactly an answer, but wherever you go, I think it is more important that you have a great dive shop that will be able to give you personal attention during your OW and first fun dives. Learning skills properly from a good instructor who has the time to make sure you get it all down will be the foundation for all your diving. I would suggest inquiring about instructor to student ratios and the number of certifications the shop does per year. Ideally you should have one instructor dedicated to just you and your husband as you finish your open water.

Oct-Nov are not the best time to go to the Caribbean or Central America as it is the rainy season.

October and November are indeed part of the rainy season. In Aruba the diving is almost at its best in October, as the winds tend to die down. September is probably the best time for diving in Aruba.

However, probably your best bet for great diving all year round is Bonaire. Bonaire is perfect for beginners. The whole economy is built around the diving industry. You can't go wrong in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom