First Dive Trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwerth

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this board and new to diving as well. I took PADI OW classes this past summer and did my certification dives the beginning of July. I'm from Kansas, so it's not too easy to find places anywhere near where I live to do any diving. I went to Oronogo, Missouri to do my certification dives and haven't had the opportunity to dive again since. Now my boyfriend (we both got certified at the same time) and I are planning our first dive trip to Cozumel the end of October. We are excited but also a bit apprehensive since this will be our first diving since we were OW certified. The ocean is going to be a completely different experience than we've had so far. We will be staying at Fiesta Americana all-inclusive and have booked three days of diving so far and figured we'd see how that went and decide if we'll try to fit more in once we are there. We don't have any dive equipment yet and plan on renting what we need there. I would love any recommendations for first time ocean divers and any tips that you might have about Cozumel as well.
Thanks,
Rwerth

rwerth:
Hi Everyone,
Now my boyfriend (we both got certified at the same time) and I are planning our first dive trip to Cozumel the end of October. We are excited but also a bit apprehensive since this will be our first diving since we were OW certified. The ocean is going to be a completely different experience than we've had so far. We will be staying at Fiesta Americana all-inclusive and have booked three days of diving so far and figured we'd see how that went and decide if we'll try to fit more in once we are there. We don't have any dive equipment yet and plan on renting what we need there. I would love any recommendations for first time ocean divers and any tips that you might have about Cozumel as well.
Thanks,
Rwerth

Don't worry too much, find a good dive op (my bad...it seems you already have diving booked...you could change if so desired...most operations will pick you up anywhere), I would suggest Blue XT Sea, pm Christi (she is a regular poster on this board) there and I'm sure she will give you all of the info you need. Diving is Cozumel is fantastic, especially if you are with a good OP. As always, be safe...get the plan, remember the plan, discuss the plan, dive the plan, discuss the results after the dive with the DM and all will be good. Don't go out of your comfort zone...tell the operator, the dive master, the boat captain and all of the other divers that you are new to the underwater world...listen to any advice...filter it with your own level of knowledge (not your level of confidence...this can lead to over zealous actions). Welcome to the world/experience of diving...I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...congratulations.

There are many good OP's on Cozumel (Christi's is one of the best!), check the Mexico forum under Cozumel for more info and opinions...trust your instincts. Don't party too much, don't stay up too late, don't ever do something you are uncomfortable with...these are the keys to safe diving...yes there are others, but...for the trip you have planned, drift diving is the best way to see the reefs with the least expenditure of air. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Again...enjoy and welcome!!!

Squashie

editied for content...forgot that she said diving booked!

Since you are going, I would highly recommend that you both do a familiarization dive with a DM or instructor. Especially using rented gear. You will have to get your weighting correct and buoyancy control adjustments for salt water. You'll feel better about yourselves and will enjoy the diving a lot more. MHO

regards,

Back
Top Bottom