First Dive / Training (Am I wrong? Or, is the instructor crazy?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you so much for the many responses, specially to those who spent time to study my post. We learned a lot just from the responses. We have decided to continue with the certification but will deliberate on how best to proceed including who and where.

As a courtesy to those who helped with all those very useful advices, this is an update on how this story has progressed. Based on the many responses, it appears that the instructor has not really been out-of-line. So, we continued with the program. One advice is for me to have a talk with my buddy (wife) whether she felt pressured into accompanying me into diving. This I have also done. Anyway, she is not the type that can be forced into anything, at least by me. It is clear she wants to try. Some points:
- The instructor may have been a bit impatient during the first OW. He has been very patient since then with all the other dives. Took a couple more of sessions though for my buddy to trust him.
- I completed the OW in about 4 dives. My buddy took 11 dives over a 3-months period to complete hers but she did not give up. Being new to the ocean and the fear factor slowed the process.
- There were actually 3 known diving fatalities in the Longdong Bay (NE of Taiwan) just the summer of 2012, one of them, a training fatality. Maybe my telling my buddy those reports really scared her. But, I was scared myself at the start.
- Anyway, she now can do a dance and smile underwater.
- Believe that going ahead to buy our own equipment that fits better also help made things easier.

Missed the original message in September.
PM sent.

Thank you for providing the follow-up! Very often, someone will post a concern about a training experience, receive a lot of comment and advice, and we never learn the outcome. It is good to know that you ultimately succeeded in your training and certification.
The instructor may have been a bit impatient during the first OW. He has been very patient since then with all the other dives. Took a couple more of sessions though for my buddy to trust him.
It appears that the Instructor became aware, from your communiciations, of the concerns that you and your buddy had, and responded appropriately.
Anyway, she now can do a dance and smile underwater.
Ah, and that is the best kind of outcome that most instructors can hope for!

Thanks for providing the end of the story, and I'm glad it was a happy ending!

I agree, find another instructor. You can do confined water off a beach if it is shallow enough to stand up in, cordoned off from boats and calm pool like conditions. But even if the instructor follows standards, a good instructor can read his students, empathize with them and calm them before they encounter problems. With nervous students I would always have them stand in shallow water and bend over with mask and regulator in place, just putting their face into the water to get used to breathing. I would then have them practice regulator recovery while standing in shallow water before trying it under water. Also, an instructor should always check that his students have assembled their gear properly.
But do not give up on diving because of a bad instructor, find a good one and try again. Many people hear on the board (including myself) are happy to forward recommendations.
Cheers
Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Back
Top Bottom