First Dive Photos! (Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segal3

Reaction score
maui1st.jpg

manta1st.jpg

octopus1st.jpg

Comments? Criticism? :D

~Matt Segal

trumpetfish1st.jpg

moray1st.jpg

urchin1st.jpg

~Matt Segal

Aloha Matt, I see you have landed on the island and are already busy diving and shutter clicking. Can you save that Manta Ray pic in color if you use the "mandrake process" on it?
:)

Yea, I can try working on it later tonight. The problem was, primarily, that the ray itself was washing out against the sand/rock background, which had (in retrospect) almost 0 color value, and then the manta was just black and white...so it turns into a black white image overlayed by a ton of blue water in between...this was an ~8ft manta, so you have an idea of the distance away I was...didn't want to go back down because my computer was warning me I might break no-deco limits...

~Matt Segal

Looks like you're having a grand time!

segal3 once bubbled...
... that the ray itself was washing out against the sand/rock background ...

Nice pics. You touched on one tip that I learned early on and that was not trying to shoot down on a subject. As you point out, generally there is not enough contrast between the subject and the mess of sand/rocks/corrals etc.. Unless your subject has bright colors against a 'dull' background (like Gilligans' pics today) it best to try to shoot up at them so the background is less busy and provides better contrast.

That being said, sometimes (like your Manta shot), you take what you can get. Keep on shooting!

edited in an attempt to make a coherent statement

A few from the night dives...tired...going to bed...MORE DIVING TOMORROW :D lol

2squid.jpg

2slendertail.jpg

2orangegoatfish.jpg

~Matt Segal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom