First dive light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chanly83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at either the light monkey 2-12 handy v2 or the Dive rite lx20. I will buy a can light down the road and it will probably be a UWLD. I am just looking for a good first light that I can transfer into a solid back up down the road and still use it as my primary on my tropical vacation dives.

Pros so far that I have seen:

Light Monkey 2-12
  1. It’s light monkey... they seem to make kick ass lights!
  2. Sealed battery compartment.
  3. 100 lumens brighter.
  4. Smaller diameter... not by much.
  5. It is lighter.
Dive Rite LX20
  1. 3 light settings PLUS strobe.
  2. Significantly longer burn time.
  3. I like the hand mount with QRM.
  4. Replaceable batteries for quick turn around.
  5. Shorter.
  6. Higher kelvin.
  7. It is a hole whopping $50 cheaper.
I know I could jump to the HP50 but after I eventually buy the cans I might as well bite the bullet and buy the UWLD. Which unless someone has a kick @$$ argument that’s not what I want to do right now.

So please some personal insights, helpful suggestions and any useful advice would be awesome.

Also customer service is paramount for me!

Thanks again.

I have been diving an LX20 for almost two years and really love it. I especially like that keeping a set of 18650 batteries is much easier than a spare proprietary battery pack.

I would also suggest you take a look at their new CX1 light. It comes with a 26650 battery, but can also run an 18650 with the included sleeve. This light makes a great Primary for dives under an hr, would actually be a much better back-up down the road when you get a can light. Plus it’s only $150ish plus’s a little extra for a hand mount.

I have been diving an LX20 for almost two years and really love it. I especially like that keeping a set of 18650 batteries is much easier than a spare proprietary battery pack.

I would also suggest you take a look at their new CX1 light. It comes with a 26650 battery, but can also run an 18650 with the included sleeve. This light makes a great Primary for dives under an hr, would actually be a much better back-up down the road when you get a can light. Plus it’s only $150ish plus’s a little extra for a hand mount.
^^This^^

The Xtar D26 (not the D26 1600 or D26 2500 - the original that is 1100 lumens) has been excellent for me. I've had 2 of them for a year or two now and they have been flawless.

The D26 uses the same LED emitter as the DR CX1. It also uses a single 26650 battery and comes with a sleeve to let you use an 18650. It also has multiple brightness levels.

The D26 has a magnetic push button on the side, rather than the tail. Normally, I would not like that, as it makes it too easy to turn on accidentally. But, the D26 button has a 1/4-turn lock, so it's easy to make sure it does not turn on accidentally.

The D26 also has a threaded hole on the side that fits a standard tripod mount. Set on Low brightness, it could be a pretty handy focus light mounted on top of a camera housing cold shoe.

And I see new ones on eBay right now for $47.

I had two LX20's at work and both flooded multiple times, required the battery pack to be shimmed in order to make contact, and their magnetic ring switching sucked.

Fortunately this was all in fresh water, so they were salvageable, but I wouldn't buy them myself. I'd have nothing but awesome experiences with my Light Monkey lights.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Out of the two you listed, I would go for the LM.

You mentioned that you plan to buy a can light later, and use the other as a backup. Depending on the diving you plan to do, and depending if you want to pursue further tech training, I would suggest a different light.

IF you plan to go tec/cave and IF you are inclined to do this with a DIR agency, I would look at the LM 3W backup, Halcyon scout, Heser backup, etc. You can get both soft and hard goodman handles for these whilst you get started, and you will have an awesome backup light for the rest of any tech journey you will ever take. If this is not on the horizon, forget what I said and be happy with the 2-12.

@JohnnyC that is unfortunate. One light would be a shame 2 is a serious issue. I have heard that the magnetic switch is problematic. Majority of my diving will be fresh water with the 2 or more trips a year to warmer climates.

@stuartv i have read some reviews of the Xtar, if I remember right your name pops up in a few of them. I will be putting Xtar on the list.

@1atm i live in the Midwest so my immediate plans are Great Lakes and quarries. Most likely continue with TDI and profess into possible rebreather. My dad is looking into buying property in South America so I will be traveling more (fingers crossed) then my usual 2 or 3 trips with my wife and the 1 to 2 trips with the wife and the rest of the family. Which that so far has just been farting around the reefs looking at pretty colors and a day at the Cenotes.

@Chanly83 yeah.... sometimes I feel like a shill for Xtar. But, I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer. Well, that and somewhat obsessive about finding "good deals" and sharing said deals with other people. :)

Also, just FYI, the Xtar D26 works great with an Oxycheq Raider light sock (the bigger one they sell).

Cave Adventurers - Light Parts and Accessories - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

It is very tight around the light, so I have never been concerned that it might slip out by accident. (but I still clip the light's bolt snap to the light sock's bungee that goes around my wrist)

The "universal" light sock that Oxycheq and some others sell really sucks. I would happily give mine away to someone who wanted it. As long as I don't have to put any effort into it, like packing it or mailing it. It's not worth that... :D

@JohnnyC I have been talking to Dive Right In Scuba to get my drysuit to not act so much like a wet suit, I have also picked the brains of the folks I have talked to there and they seem to have nothing but high praise for both lights but most of the people I have spoken with say they personally dive the DR lx20. I know the light has been out for a few years, could they have come out with a updated version? I am by no means disregarding what you said but the only bad reviews I have read have been about the switch. Which does suck because I am looking for something to have a few different brightness levels.

I know paralenz switched their product up by replacing the plastic back cap with an aluminum version.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom