First dive in a Bare Reactive 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Disclaimer: This is my first neoprene wetsuit.

I also have a Lavacore skin, but I wanted something for the Florida springs (72ºF), and maybe for winter diving in Florida. I know 72º isn't really cold, but I want to be comfortable on dives an hour long or more.

As a new diver, I'm spending money as fast as humanly possible, so I figured I'd spend $500 (after tax) for a wetsuit. Why not. I'm not going to live forever...

In the Lavacore it would take about 20 minutes in the springs before I started shivering.

I'm 5'7", 150 pounds. Little body fat. I tend to get cold easily.

I dove Devil's Den today twice, both times for around 50 minutes. Besides the Reactive I wore 2mm gloves and a full hood. I never even felt chilly. I could definitely dive in cooler water with this suit.

Also diving were 2 instructors from my LDS doing a class. They both had 5mm suits and spent about the same amount of time in the water as I did. Both said they got pretty cold. I don't know what they were wearing.

About the fit: Since I'm a small guy I first brought home a small. I did try it on, but since I'm inexperienced I just assumed it was supposed to be super tight. However, when I tried it on at home and wore it for 15 minutes or so I realized I couldn't breathe easily, and my hands were throbbing. Took it back and tried on a medium. It's actually still very snug on the wrists, probably just right. Everything else seems pretty snug although not too confining. The bottom line is that I only felt minimal water intrusion, mainly along the back seam. I didn't get help zipping, so I guess it's possible the seal was out of place.

The ankles didn't feel all that tight, but when I walked onto the platform water pooled around my calves for several minutes before draining out. I had the inner layer inside my boot, and outer layer was outside.

Hope that helps someone. I'll give some more feedback as I use the suit.

The ankles didn't feel all that tight, but when I walked onto the platform water pooled around my calves for several minutes before draining out. I had the inner layer inside my boot, and outer layer was outside.

Do you think next time you'll try the boots fully inside the suit?

Do you think next time you'll try the boots fully inside the suit?
Sure. Do you think it will improve the performance?

Don't know, but had the same issue of the water filling the lower extremities upon exit. Didn't notice anything while in the water. Probably won't be back in that suit until November.

Wonder what others are doing with zippered ankles.

You were wearing the suit / boots properly.

You were wearing the suit / boots properly.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hey there,

Thought I would pass my Florida 2 cents on. I dive Blue Grotto (across the street from Devils Den, same water) at lest 3 times a year for personal skills training. I dive Devils Den, when ever a friends comes to FL for the first time. I too am 5'7" though I weight in at 168 lbs. When I am in the Florida Keys I dive no Wetsuit. When out in the gulf and winter time in Ft Lauderdale, I dive No Suit or a 3mm. When I am dive Blue Grotto, I dive a 3mm with a 2mm shorty, 5mm booties, 2mm gloves and a 5mm hood. My hood only gets used in the Springs and the occasional Shark dive in Jupiter. Just the Hood alone is a Massive warmth difference in the Springs. Since we dive the wonderful warm waters here, I would not go crazy buying $500 wetsuits. pick up the accessories (hood, gloves) and smile, all the way to the bottom of the ocean. BTW, I buy all these gear pieces during the off season and last years models. Usually save 50%.

I have been comfortable diving Blue Grotto in a Bare Reaction 3mm suit, 3 mm booties, no gloves or hood.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as cost goes, I decided to indulge myself when it comes to dive gear. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don't have kids or much debt, so I'm letting myself splurge.

As a person with very low body fat, I think I get cold faster than the average diver. My thinking is that I would err on the side of too much wetsuit, and flush some water through if I overheated. So far I've been comfortable, and not too hot.

Another factor that I considered is length of dive. In the springs, I usually stay down an hour or more with my longest dive so far being about 90 minutes. Towards the end of the longer dives I'm pleasantly cool, but not cold.

I dove the FL springs in a 5mm (AquaFlex) with boots, no hood, and was just a bit chilled by the end of the day after two dives. Added a 5mm hood the next time and it was perfect. I'm 5' 10 148 lb and not a lot of body fat - and a low tolerance for cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom