First Dive Computer **Advise needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You absolutely nothing about me or the way I dive, so keep your snide comments you yourself, as you have nothing constructive to add to the thread
Touchy, no more comments by me. Suunto is relatively conservative on repetitive dives. Their Tech RGBM/Fused RGBM much less so, especially set at P-2

Suuntos are convenient as entry level computers for non-decompression diving. No issues with depth sensors if you rinse your computer thoroughly after the dives of the day.

However Suuntos are highly notorious and mostly hated by Tec divers (I'm not an exception here) for locking under water when not strictly following their deco stop requests. A dive computer that leaves you to your fate 20 meters under water and stays locked for 48 hours solid? Suunto. They're probably more worried about potential lawsuits than getting you out of the water. As you can guess, many of us vote with our wallets against this nonsense.

While it might sound unwise to you that divers don't follow the computer's proposed stops, deco dives can be safely completed in different ways, not only the Suunto way.

Bottom line is: are you budget-conscious and do not plan to get into exotic diving? You're good with a Zoop or, a D4i. Don't buy whatever fancy, high-margin Suunto concoction your dive shop suggests. They'll be useless if you go Tec.

Do you think you'll become more adventurous over time and go into decompression diving, or you have the budget for a really good computer that gets you out of the water no matter what and excels at deco diving? Avoid Suunto like the pest and buy a Shearwater Teric.

I agree with scubadada on this. I meant to add in my previous comments that even if Suuntos are more conservative than other brands, I'm okay with that. My wife and I are both in our early 60s so we don't want to push the limits anyway. But like I did say earlier, we haven't seen that they are as conservative as some will say they are.

This year i have so faar been diving with a Suunto D6i on one wrist and a Oceanics OC1 on the other (both on default conservatism settings), i have not seen any difference in conservatism one way or the other. It have sometimes differed 1 minute or 2 inone way or the other, often shifting during the same dive wich have been more conservative.

my cobra on the hip have sometimes shown a few minutes less of NDL remaining on deeper dives, but it have been back on about the same numbers before i come to my safetystop.

You dive your computer, you are a relatively conservative diver. I assume you do not know what NDLs other computers would give you. You have not blown off a deco stop and have not been locked out in violation gauge mode.

Cobra do lock you out if you blow a deco, but is easy to reset, not that i reccomend it.

Main thing is the Bluetooth capability. I love the fact I can download my dive to my Dive Log app while on the boat or on shore.

I download all my dives to subsurface on the boat, without bluethoot. ;-)

from the cobra, vyper air, D6i and the OC1. just hock the cable to the phone and go.

This year i have so faar been diving with a Suunto D6i on one wrist and a Oceanics OC1 on the other (both on default conservatism settings), i have not seen any difference in conservatism one way or the other. It have sometimes differed 1 minute or 2 inone way or the other, often shifting during the same dive wich have been more conservative.

my cobra on the hip have sometimes shown a few minutes less of NDL remaining on deeper dives, but it have been back on about the same numbers before i come to my safetystop.
I assume you are diving your OC1 running PZ+ rather than DSAT, is that correct?

However Suuntos are highly notorious and mostly hated by Tec divers (I'm not an exception here) for locking under water when not strictly following their deco stop requests. A dive computer that leaves you to your fate 20 meters under water and stays locked for 48 hours solid? Suunto. They're probably more worried about potential lawsuits than getting you out of the water. As you can guess, many of us vote with our wallets against this nonsense.
I have never seen this happened, even after one of my cobras did a 12h dive between 50 and 400 meter, it reccomended massive deco but did not lock out untill it was dry. then it is easy to reset if you like.

as a note, it was a "dead" cobra doing a soak in jar of water, and as the deposits on the depth sensor desolves te pressure rises, it was not a real dive, but the log was fun to see. :)

I have never seen this happened, even after one of my cobras did a 12h dive between 50 and 400 meter, it reccomended massive deco but did not lock out untill it was dry. then it is easy to reset if you like.

as a note, it was a "dead" cobra doing a soak in jar of water, and as the deposits on the depth sensor desolves te pressure rises, it was not a real dive, but the log was fun to see. :)

To be more precise, they become a depth gauge (no other indications) when they lock underwater, and they continue to be an expensive depth gauge for the following 48h. At least my D6i does. It also refuses to give you surface times or no-fly times, for that matter.

That a dive computer becomes a depth gauge, even before your dive is over, just because Suunto corporate lawyers are afraid of a lawsuit if you get bent after missing their deco stops is unacceptable.

I know of a couple of instructors in Indonesia who, when their Suunto locks, they tie it to a rope and throw it overboard for a, few hours. For some reason this resets the watch faster?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom