First dive advice for two single brothers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wxkeep

New
Reaction score
My brother graduates high school this may and I promissed him that we'd take a trip before he heads off to college - the guy is graduating with a 4.0 GPA and a near perfect ACT score - guess he got the brains in the family. HA!

At any rate - we decided that we wanted to give Scuba a try. We just recently finished our open water and I'm going after my advanced open water this month. Taking a trip to Florida with my instructors to do the cert dives for that, but that will be my first ocean water dive. My trip with my brother will be his first ocean water dive. And we're trying to figure out where to go, where to stay, what to do. I know we can't do it all - the world is covered with too many good locations - so I'm just looknig for a great well-rounded trip. I plan to take a full week or more from work so a 7-9 night stay is probably the time frame that we're looking at. We're considering renting BCD's and Regs from our local outfit - something calming about personally knowing the guys that do the work on that stuff - and hauling them with us. (Might be nice to see how much of a nuisance that is before rushing out to buy a lot of my own gear).

Since it will be his first trip - I wanted to keep a balance of some topside activities along with the diving. Some of the activities that have sounded like fun (besides diving of course) are deep sea fishing, clear river kayaking, temple hikes, maybe a big animal dive of some sort, windsurfing, great restaraunts, beach activities, etc. I know we won't have time (or probably the energy) to do all of these things - and I think an evening or four of sitting in a hamock with an umbrella drink and a book sounds nice.

Of course, he's 18 going on 21 and he's interested in a little night life. I'm almost 30 and a little less concerned - but it is my hope to really do something great for him for such a succesful high school career (I'm going to be broke if he does this well in college - LOL). I've heard mixed reviews about all-inclusive - would like to be able to try different things - but also like to have an idea what everything would cost up front so I don't have to concern ourselves with carrying lots of money with us. I've already started the process of ordering passports so we're good to go in that regard - and I've sent in the applications for PADI dive insurance as well.

So, essentially, what I'm looking for is - where should I go? What should I do? Is there anything I forgot? Recommendations and warnings. That sort of thing - to make the trip as memorable as possible.

Hi wxkeep and welcome to ScubaBoard, if you fill out your profile with your location people will be able to suggest trips with your location as a factor. Cancun is a great destination for diving with good topside activities and restaraunts. Plenty of good places in the Virgin Islands or Bonaire. Have fun planning your trip.
David

...don't know if I'd recommend for new divers. There's a lot of current and depth to contend with. I think conventional wisdom tends towards Bonaire. The diving, when I was there last, some 5 years ago, was excellent and easy. Little to no current, moderate depths, loads of sites, the fun of shore diving, if you're ready for it, and lots of undewater life.

Topside, there's not a lot of activity, though the Washington Slagbaai park is a desert wonder with more cactii and iguana than you'll ever see in one place, along with wild ocean vistas.

Nightlife would not be Bonaire's strongest attraction, though there's a bit of a scene in the town (whose name, with its car wreck of consonants always evades my memory), at dusk and beyond, as I recall.

The Bay Islands of Honduras are another good choice, I'd say, for easy, fun diving. But be sure to bring a suitcase full of DEET for the no-see-ums!

If you care to travel as far as Dominica, you'll get the very best topside in the Caribbean, I'd say, along with outstanding diving, though nightlife is virtually non-existant.

If the airfare and accomodations are beyond your budget (though there are lots of options for hotels/dive ops), there's always my fair county, Broward, here in south Florida! Not much in the way of walls, but some mighty decent reefs and wrecks with just about everything you can find in the Caribbean in the way of sealife, except for frogfish, gurnards and a few other critters. The ScubaTyme operation out of Pompano Beach is just big and friendly enough to make you comfortable without being a cattle boat. Capt. Gary is very cool and helpful for novice divers. (His was my first boat). And, nightlife?---don't get me started! (And you can come see my band! :D )

Having equipment you're familiar and comfortable with is, IMHO, well worth the hassle of transporting it. I use extra large, unmarked, rolling duffle bags for mine. These don't attract undue attention, are considerably cheaper than dedicated dive baggage, and are an easy means of carrying both dive equipment and the few clothes you'll need if you're headed to a tropical climate. (I would opt for bags with a hard, "sled"-type bottom for gear protection). If you can, I'd carry regulators and masks with you in a carry on. That way, your most essential and expensive gear is with you at all times and not subject to delay or loss.

Another humble opinion: stay away from all-inclusives, unless you want to focus more on topside horizontal pursuits than those below the sea eyebrow . I've not experienced them myself (all-inclusives, that is!) but have heard and read that their dive operations are often less rewarding than those of dedicated dive operators.

Whatever you decide, remember that, as the ancient saw goes, "there's no substitute for experience". Having 16 certifications with 20 dives to your name is not nearly the equal of one with a hundred dives, in my opinion. Not to dis or discourage--just a reminder to keep your concentration while you're in the midst of the wonders of the deep.

Have a blast!

Best regards,

Thanks for the advice, it looks like I still have a lot of research to do. Easy diving would be good - by time we take this trip - I'll have only completed 5 dives in the ocean with my instructor - and he'll have only done his cert. dives in a lake - so I don't want to overwhelm us the first time out - I'm sure there will be plenty of trips to come. Hence why we're looking for a little topside activity. The horizontal entertainment, of which you speak, isn't high on our priority list of activities at this point. Would like to stay more focused on the things that can't be accomplished in Kansas - and I don't think our PADI insurance covers any of the related injuries. =) Just a little nightlife to have some laughs and a beverage or two with good people.

Hence why we're looking more for the hikes, rivers, and deep sea fishing. Things to do with our afternoons that aren't too incredibly extreme - let's not try to climb the highest mountain and sled down an active volcano or anything - I really have no clue as to how worn out we'll be each evening from diving.

So far it looks like my primary places of interst are: Curacao, Bonaire, Cancun, BVI, and Dominica. Let me know if you can think of anything else I should consider. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom