First Computer - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECF04486-5F43-4F14-987D-279E89B158E5.jpeg
DAF9A7E4-9483-45B6-8EC9-581C6F1C1AED.jpeg

From my last dive. Definitely the Deep 6. Get it at the current (“sale”) price before it goes up. The display is easy to read. Sorry about the pic quality.

No. You are misinformed.
It just counts time in deco. As a rec computer users should not be going into deco.
As a rec computer it is great. Easy to use and intuitive (at least to me).
With the new tech software coming out users can grow from recreational to tech. This is something that users would appreciate, especially with a computer at that price point.
Thanks for the correction. I can't explain exactly why I thought that particular computer displays negative numbers during a dive. Good to hear that was completely wrong. Sorry for the misinformation.

Pretty funny watching all the shearwater fan boys tripping over each other in this thread. I got one a while back and tried to drink the koolaid, but now it just sets in my save a dive bag/drawer. For sure I can get my money back if I decide to sell, and it’s a great computer, etc., etc., not denying that, but it’s clunky and over priced. Also, ignore the usual blabber and fear mongering about don’t get that computer, "it will lock you out".

To the OP: when you were renting, was there one you liked? Maybe get that one. Or, do what I did just now - go to flea bay and search for "dive computer" and set price limit at $150. I see cressi leonardo, mares quad, oceanic geo, sunnto vyper all for not much money. Are they good for deco or tech diving, include integrated air or whatever the fan boys say you need? - NO. But more importantly, will these computers let you use Nitrox and keep you safe for occasional recreational diving? - YES they all will!

If you have $500-$800 or more burning a hole in your pocket or expect to get into technical diving, get a shearwater or one of the other top brands. Or get a Garmin Descent. I think it’s about $1500 with AI, probably the most expensive computer out there - I love mine because it’s a great watch and a robust backup dive computer.

OR, if you just want an economical way to be safe and use the same computer every dive so you can get used to it and avoid the rental situation, use the search like I did above or look for something like that in the forum classified ads.

Some basic (and cheap) Suunto will work fine for Nitrox and rec diving, unless you dive a lot in dark waters. It's quite annoying to press the light button or to light the dc with light every three minutes to get it glowing.
Any Shearwater is definitely a reliable and good choice but I think peregrine is quite pricey for the features it has. Just ordered Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC dc, but don't know how you can get those in the US.

Back
Top Bottom