First cave dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

60plus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been closed as a result of this and several other posts downthread which advocate unsafe diving practices in violation of ScubaBoard's TOS. Please read the final post by @cerich here: First cave dives before returning to review this material.

I have done some caverns and swim throughs before but never been far from exit and always had light from exit so torch not needed. Recently I dived The great cave of Lindos “Cleobulus Tomb". This is only open to AOW and above and the dive ops require you have done at least 1 dive with them before the cave dive so they know you are reasonably competent. There were four of us on the dive plus the guide who carried an extra side mount tank with a long hose. On entering the cave I kept looking back as the light from then entrave got further away and finally disappeared. I was a bit nervous but concentrated on keeping my breathing gentle, staying close to the guide and watching my air consumption. None of the cave was tight and there was no silt, some of the caverns were huge stretching above and below as far as could be seen in the crystal clear water. There were large shoals of brown shrimp which when lit by a torch gathered on the cave walls and scampered up them in a moving mass, a bit like something out of an alien or horror movie. Upon coming out of the cave towards the light the water was a brilliant, almost glowing blue. Dive time in the cave was about 15 to 20 minutes.
On our second dive of the day we went into a much smaller cave. We were finning along gently, line astern nose to fin when we came across a Monk seal. These are about 8ft long and 600 lbs and can be aggressive if they have pups so after getting a good look at it from a few yard we exited the cave fairly quickly. Monk seal sightings are very rare. They are critically endangered and estimates suggest there are only about 600 left.

Yeah, I agree with @PfcAJ Untrained divers should not be in a cave, period. Hell it is bad enough we have OW divers in some of the "caverns" in Florida.

You guys were kinder on the OP than I thought you were going to be :)

OP watch this->
What you did was a "trust me" dive. You may want to re-consider doing those dives in the future. What would you have done if you'd had an issue or worse the dive guide had an issue?

Someone else's vacation video. I skipped around the timestamps and this doesn't look like a suitable dive site for people without cave training. Silty bottom, high line placement, and possibly subject to tides/currents.

Greece......

Heh- yeah, good thing they only take Advanced Open Water divers, it would be totally irresponsible to take Open Water divers into an overhead unless they're Advanced! Anyone who hasn't done a Drift Diver and Fish ID specialty dive would have no business at all in a cave!!

Lot of hate on here for the OP...who had no experience and no idea if what he was doing was safe or not.
Your hate ought better to be directed to the dive center who sponsors this nonsense, presumably in the name of making a little more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom