first camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LilJoRt6

Reaction score
:confused: Hello friends! I would like to buy my first underwater camera--at first I will use it to get some shots of my sea lion buddies at the aquarium where I clean their pool. I am inland in NY so I haven't done any ocean diving yet(soon, I hope). So I just need something basic and inexpensive--any advice?

My first suggestion is to decide on a budget. The second is to decide exactly what your expectations are. And third. use the search function for "new cameras" or "beginning photography" and read the multitude of posts made on this subject in very recent history.

I'm not trying to be rude but each of us has our own opinion as to what is best to start with. That is a very broad question! It's much easier if you form specific questions to guide us to the answers you need.

Since you did what I didn't do, come to this board for info., I would start with a good setup. I've decided on the Olympus C4040Z with the PT-10 housing.

I started with the MX5-II camera, and wish I would have known more about U/W photography and camera systems before I bought it. The MX5-II is a desent setup for a point and shoot camera, and I've gotten decent even good photos, but after only one year...actually less, I'm wanting a lot more out of my photos.

Just my thought....

Andrea

andrea31419 once bubbled...
I've decided on the Olympus C4040Z with the PT-10 housing.

Andrea

Andrea....good luck on locating a new C-4040! They are out of production but you may still find a few on the shelf somewhere. There's also Olympus' eBay store that sells refurbished 4040's.

I heard recently that the PT-10 is also discontinued but there's no shortage of those yet, AFAIK.

Thanks for the info. Refurbished is fine with me. I'd love to have the C5050Z, but that's not in my budget. I'm so jealous when I see everyone's photos with the Olympus CX0X0Z... Oh well...mine will be up here soon :wink:

I did hear too, the they stopped making the PT-10 housings, and am glad to know there is still plenty to go around. This one is definitley my housing of choice.

A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom