First camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smallfrye

Registered
Reaction score
As a newbe to U/W photography, I'm gravitating towards the Sealife DL310 camera with flash. As a used kit, they are selling around $300 and seem to be all I need to get started.
With this said, please comment or criticize. Are there issues I'm missing or better starter sets ? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

I've got the DC310 kit (with flash) and really like it, but there are better cameras out there. The underwater pics in my gallery were made with the DC310 (except the grouper pic). It's a good camera for "snapshots" of your dive trips and that's about it. Getting fancy or "great" shots are usually done with better cameras.

Before they quit making them, the DC310 kit went for about $499 to $530 and up to "list price" which I can't remember, so $300 isn't a bad deal, but with new technology coming out and bigger mega-pixel cameras, you might find it a little cheaper. to buy the strobe runs abou $150 to $180 new, so that means your camera used is about $150. I don't know if I'd give $300 for a used one now when I could put that money towards a better one. (in my opinion).

The DC310 has been replaced by the DC500, which you'll positive and negative reviews on. But if I had to buy a new camera for the same purpose and had the choice between the DC310 and the SEA &SEA, I'd go with the SEA & SEA most likely.

Is this someone you know with the DC310 or off Ebay? if you don't know the person who bought the camera and it's on EBay, better hope it hasn't been flooded ,etc. Most folks here on Scubaboard are good enough though that if they sell something here that they won't try to screw over other board members.

Mike, the $300 is for camera and strobe along with the misc. stuff that normally comes with the camera kit. I have a lot to learn but do not want to spend much more until I know what I want.
Thanks for your advise.

In addition to the camera, plan on buying SD memory card(s) and a good set of AA rechargable batteries. Other options you might want are the wide angle lens ($75 to $120 depending on dealer).

Back
Top Bottom