First BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that most backplates have slots of cam bands now. It would depend on the wing design I guess.

The difficulty with BP&W is getting going. It's easier to buy one all made up. I have the same BP&W as when I dove doubles. Back then I bought the original Halcyon BP (before the blue "H" was on the webbing) and added a 55lb Halcyon wing. It turned out to be way too big, so sold it and got an Agir 38lb wing. I'm still using the same BP&W today.

Mind you, I sold the doubles and switched to a rebreather. The RB is bolted to the same BP, but the d-rings on the shoulder straps were replaced with side-rings because of the front counterlungs. I also added a butt plate and bungees to sidemount my bailout and some bungees to the crotch strap to hold the counterlungs down. Otherwise it's the same BP&W as ever.

For OC diving I wanted the same thing, but separate so I didn't have to convert. I just went out and bought a SS back plate, then 24ft of 2in webbing, some d-rings and a buckle and built my own using the original as a pattern. I also added a butt plate and bungees to allow me to stage my sidemount rigged tanks if I want them. Over the years I had bought another Agir 38lb wing, so had one for this rig as well. The backplate has slots so I just bought two cam-bands to hold the tank.

It's nice diving the same harness, backplate and wing whether diving doubles, single tank or rebreather.

Back to the OP - for your first BP&W it's easiest to buy it complete. You will get lots of advice whether to get something fancy, or padded straps, or quick-release shoulder straps, etc. etc. etc. What you buy will depend on whose advice you take and how you like the ones you try on. I personally prefer simple web harness because it's easy and cheap to build your own once you've seen one, but you make the decision here.

Final bit of advice - find a dive shop that rents the one they sell. Then dive it and see if you like it. If possible, do this with as many types as you can find to rent, because the worst expense for gear is the one you have to do over.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

@sunnyboy that's why I'd like to make the switch to BP/W. There's just so much more room for customization as well as increased adaptability to different situations. The point about try before you buy is a good one, but all the shops close to me only rent out a generic weight integrated BCD...maybe I can find some in NC? I'd prefer to not wait that long but we'll see if I can find some.

@DiverDownD3 No worries; I'm an incoming vehicle dynamics intern with Volvo in Greensboro, NC.

you have a good technical oriented shop there called NADCO and Dolphi Graves is a great guy and diver. Realistically with a BP/W there isn't much benefit in trying before you buy. As long as the plate is the right size to fit your body, and the wing is the right size to work with what tanks and setup you'll be using.

Check the various online tech diving stores. There are some really good ones online who sell good gear at good prices and will even answer the phone and talk to you about what you want to do. I don't want to single out one vendor here as I've bought gear from many of them and have been totally happy with the quality and support.

Avoid anything proprietary that locks you into some different way of doing things. This stuff has not really evolved much since the '90s. A classic backplate & wing is really a very simple piece of gear and should not cost too much. As I said before, the harness is something you can make yourself if you really want. Some have even crafted their own backplates - it's not that hard if you have access to metal working equipment. I don't so I buy mine. The wing is the one thing you do have to buy from a reputable firm.

The biggest cost is usually the wing. Don't go too small or too large. Unless you plan on taking steel stage tanks, you should be able to get by with a 40lb wing for 99% of your diving. The bonus is the 40lb wing is small enough for singles diving as well as big enough for doubles. I would also personally avoid the bungee wings, double bladder wings and other such stuff.

I would NOT use the same wing for both single tank and doubles.

40# should be enough for backmount doubles and a stage. Especially if you are diving dry as well.

The comment about avoiding bungees is good. Some training agencies specify no bungee on the wing as a best practice. The idea being that if you get a leak, the bungee will work against you and make the air leak faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom