First BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I've been diving for 5-6 years now using the rear inflation Mares Icon BCD, and I'm looking to get my first BP/W setup. Looking back I probably should've just bought a BP/W system to begin with but hindsight is 20/20 I guess!:acclaim:

The vast majority of my diving thus far has been drysuit freshwater dives in the Great Lakes and throughout the midwest, and this summer I will be completing an internship in North Carolina where I'm looking to do a decent amount of diving as well. I am primarily interested in the additional doors a BP/W system opens (easier to sling a pony bottle, doubles, etc.)

As a current college student I don't have the money to buy a top-of-the line setup, so I guess my question is what is a reasonably priced BP/W system that I can look to hold onto for a while into the future, that's fairly customizable when it comes to things like doubles, and that people have had good experiences with.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Cheers guys:happywave:

call DRIS and see if they can still sell you the Hog 32 lb wing at the black friday sale price. grab a steel plate and webbing/hardware for a harness from dgx. should come to about 300 or less total.

I've recently, as in Sept, upgraded from a Mares Dragon to this: Golem 35 Lbs SS Combo and I'm super happy. I know your looking for doubles, he has this for the same price Golem 55 Lbs. SS Combo
His service was really quick but the after sales not that good to be honest. Saying that, it takes nothing away from the fact that it is a very good allround package at a super price.

Hey everyone,

I've been diving for 5-6 years now using the rear inflation Mares Icon BCD, and I'm looking to get my first BP/W setup. Looking back I probably should've just bought a BP/W system to begin with but hindsight is 20/20 I guess!:acclaim:

The vast majority of my diving thus far has been drysuit freshwater dives in the Great Lakes and throughout the midwest, and this summer I will be completing an internship in North Carolina where I'm looking to do a decent amount of diving as well. I am primarily interested in the additional doors a BP/W system opens (easier to sling a pony bottle, doubles, etc.)

As a current college student I don't have the money to buy a top-of-the line setup, so I guess my question is what is a reasonably priced BP/W system that I can look to hold onto for a while into the future, that's fairly customizable when it comes to things like doubles, and that people have had good experiences with.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Cheers guys:happywave:

best one out there, especially if you are outside the normal range is the Deep Sea Supply rigs, they are just under $500, well worth calling Tobin. I know it's not the cheapest out there, but it is by far the best. If money is that tight, I would call Mike at Dive Right in Scuba and see if he will sell you the Trianta setup at the Black Friday price. Pros and cons with the Trianta still requiring an STA which makes travel a bit more complicated

DGX Custom - DGX Doubles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package great package if you are looking to do doubles (quasi on the cheap) DGX has great support and are good people.

Get a 32lb wing or smaller later and you also have a singles setup. It makes sense to go ahead and buy a "doubles" package as you have a single tank solution that evidently works for you right now. So buying a singles wing at the moment is not "required" and it will afford you the opportunity to find one on the cheap later. What you are wanting to do right now (being a poor college kid) is have the widest variety of tools on hand to dive at the cheapest price. So don't duplicate things right now.

Any BP/W should be modular and hence customizable. Even the cheapest ones you can find.

Differences in price are due to quality of finish, added optional features, material, value added design, branding, etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Definitely some great insight. I do have a few follow-up questions;
  • STA: I agree at this (broke) stage in life it doesn't make sense to double up on equipment. That being said are there any distinct disadvantages to diving a doubles setup with a single tank adapter?
  • Wing: Going back to the point about not doubling up, is there a wing that may work for me for both a single and doubles setup? If not, what size wing should I be looking at getting? Also, other than dumping, are there any preferences on donut vs. horseshoe shape wings I should keep in mind? I currently use 28lbs when diving freshwater with drysuit, undergarment, and an AL80 tank.
Cheers

With a single tank, you need a STA. The STA has slots for cam bands which grab the tank and has bolts which sandwiches the wing and attaches it to the backplate. It basically holds everything together.

You don't need a STA with doubles. With doubles, the bolts on the bands go through the wing and directly to the backplate.

The different between single tank and double tank wings is the design. doubles wings are wider to allow the bladder to inflate around the tanks.

If you dive a single tank wing with doubles, the tanks will keep the wing from inflating.

If you dive a double tank wing with a single tank, it will be too large (in size) and perhaps floppy and create drag.

@guruboy you only need it with rigs that are designed for them. The DSS rigs and many others have engineered the STA out.

@Mndiv you do not use a STA with doubles. there are no wings that are ideal for both. There are a very select few that CAN work with both, but they are a jack of all trades, master of none. Much better to get separate wings when you get to doubles.

Back
Top Bottom