First Aid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cric kit stands for Cricothyroidotomy Kit. I definitely don't want everyone to carry those. How many vocal chords do we want mangled?......

haha! that's a very good point :)

But I do wish everyone at least carried the basics

Gotta build your own, marine, dive, appropriate, and O2 kit
and then pack it all in a couple of makeup, or camera cases
from all sorts of sources cheaper than an empty pelican box.

Nothing to do with deepwreck or tech just doing diving right.

I carry a small basic first aid kit that I put into a waist dry bag. I added a few things that we use regularly (more/better waterproof tape, more bandages of different sizes, antiseptic).
Any small dry bag would work other than the waist type but we figured we might wear it on land as well. Ours is for minor injuries - cuts, scrapes, stings, and the like.
We have found that even though some boats say they have first aid kits, some don't or they are poorly stocked even with basics.
We have not had to use it much but on the occasions we have (land and water), it was useful.

While I'm not a good one to ask, since I'm a paramedic first responder and carry a full trauma and medical bag, oxygen, splints, IV, etc. And my wilderness kit has sutures and a minor surgery kit. But think about just how much you want to be able to address out of your "first aid" kit. There are two levels. One is the minor cuts and such for which Bandaids, small gauze pads, tape and triple antibiotics are enough. For more serious injuries that will likely later require a doctor, heavier pads (Surgipad, etc.) and elastic wraps (often cheaper in the feed store where they also for horses).

For a bit more than the one you linked, these are probably better values and provide considerably more:
Amazon.com: Total Resources International 250-Piece Outdoor First Aid Kit in Red EVA Case: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Sportsman Kit: Health & Personal Care

I find that commercially available to the public kits more expensive than these are often loaded with a lot of stuff of little use, and it's often far more cost-effective to piece something together.

haha! that's a very good point :)

But I do wish everyone at least carried the basics
Me too. I just worry about all those who are medic trained (however much or little), who pack the whole OR. Or those who have never missed an episode of Grey's Anatomy and are ready to jump in, cause they know what their doing....:shakehead:

While I'm not a good one to ask, since I'm a paramedic first responder and carry a full trauma and medical bag, oxygen, splints, IV, etc. And my wilderness kit has sutures and a minor surgery kit. But think about just how much you want to be able to address out of your "first aid" kit. There are two levels. One is the minor cuts and such for which Bandaids, small gauze pads, tape and triple antibiotics are enough. For more serious injuries that will likely later require a doctor, heavier pads (Surgipad, etc.) and elastic wraps (often cheaper in the feed store where they also for horses).

For a bit more than the one you linked, these are probably better values and provide considerably more:
Amazon.com: Total Resources International 250-Piece Outdoor First Aid Kit in Red EVA Case: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Sportsman Kit: Health & Personal Care

I find that commercially available to the public kits more expensive than these are often loaded with a lot of stuff of little use, and it's often far more cost-effective to piece something together.

Yup. I have gloves, pocket mask, sterile dressing, super glue, band aides, eye wash, tape, bacitracin, benadryl....... That stays in car or dive bag.

Since I own the boat, I Know what's in my first aide kits on board. If on another operation's boat, I want a quick look.

I'm seeing posts of people packing tourniquets. I'd just like to mention to anyone that when I was taught First Aid for Lifeguarding, we were told that under the good samaritan law you will not be seen as guilty in a court of law as long as you provide help within the scope of your first aid training. We were also told to do no harm to anyone we're treating. So before you go tying a tourniquet or handing out aspirin, you better know what you're doing and you better let your victim know why it may help.

Just a little FYI for anyone else out there who's thinking about starting a FA kit.

It comes with 2 tourniquets but I have extras stashed in strategic locations. The only piece I wish it came with is a Cric kit.
10-0028_a.jpg

But it's easy enough to come up with a field expedient solution.

Are you serious?! The only people that should be performing those are people trained to do so. A few EMTs (most aren't trained for cric as I understand it) and doctors. That kit is already huge for standard necessities and is only practical if you're a first responder actually responding regularly (at which point it isn't the right or enough stuff). Otherwise it's way too big for realistic personal needs.

But I'm a "minimalist" kind of guy and have been always trained to carry only what I would need for me in a "wilderness" environment. Of course, I also carry a few extras of everything. My kit is "too big" and fits into a 4" by 6" by 4" deep zippered pouch that unfolds with pockets and such. Anything that's not in my kit I can make out of materials I have on hand in the woods (or even at a dive site, usually).

PS: Tourniquets are generally a "last ditch effort" and shouldn't be used unless all other compression options have proven futile or you can't continue using them and get the patient/victim to safety at the same time.

What about O2 ? im curious how many people carry O2 with them to every dive ?
I always have it. My boat. No, I do Not carry it with me out and about. But all dive boats should have 02.
If you are a cave diver or shore diver, you may have another take on that though. Just make sure you know how to administer 02. It's a touchy gas........

Back
Top Bottom