First-Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What should be in a Scuba First-Aid kit? It will be carried on my boat for fishing and dive trips. Is it better to buy a pre-made kit or should I make one of my own? And besides a First-Aid Kit what are other standard emergency/rescue gear should be carried on a boat being used for diving? I only have a 24' boat so remember shape can be a limiting factor.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

Besides the obvious things like bandaids and antiseptic cream we try to carry things that have multiple uses to save space. An elastic bandage can work as a pressure bandage and as a wrap for a splint. A pair of needle nose pliers with a side cutter for fish hook removal. And never forget duct tape, just take the cardboard out of the center of the roll and squash it to save room. Opinions will vary on this but we never go diving without emergeny O2. Since you go offshore I will assume you have a radio.

I bought a good EFR kit and supplemented even that with things I thought should be in there. I figure if I need it I want to have access to it. They can be packed fairly well into a nice sized dry box. Everything from tapes & gauzes & on. Do some searches on EFR kits and look at what they have in them, will give you a good idea then add things particular to diving like vinegar, meat tenderizer, hot packs, etc. Plus a copy of the DAN Diving Accidnet book or equivalent, mine also has my EFR book from my class. O2 is another thing that you should have with you if you can as the primary first aid for DCI is 100% O2.
If you would like me to send you a list of what is in my kit (yes, I have a list for refill purposes ;-) just send me a private message and I will be happy to send it to you. Too long to post here.

DAN has a good divig first aid kit to go allong with one of their O2 kits. You should have 2 solid ways of communicating an emergency to some1 in a rescue position. i.e VHF to CG and cellphone...
I would augment any kit with extra supplies of things you use often. Maybe add some extra tylenol, alcohol wipes, tweezers and vinegar for animal bites and stings.
You should deffinatly take a first aid course, cpr, O2, and a rescue diver course if you are diving off your own boat. You should also try to have some sort of surface support, who watches your bubbles, has at least an extra set of snorkeling gear, and can call for help if needed...

I'd say start with a good kit and add to it.

Make sure to add stuff for Jelly Fish stings, man of war, sun burn, etc.
Add band-aids that will stay on wet body parts, like the cloth ones. Add surgical tape and duct-tape with sisscors. Liquid band-aids are good for blisters on liveaboard trips as is "mole skin" Other creams for sea rash and that dreaded "wet suit rash". alcohol, etc. meat tenderizer and baking powder are good for stings, as is tobacco.

A good pair of maginfying tweezers. waterproof ziploc bags (gallon and quart) size. Freezer is best since they are stronger. surgical tubing for tourniquit(sp?). Also is a good backup for replacing a Hawaiian sling surgical tube that breaks.

Best of all, get a good waterproof case like Pelican or other to put it all in. Not only will this keep water out, but sea/salt mosture also. Chunk in some of those silica gels things that come in electronic products that say "do not eat" to soak up moisture also.

A pre-paid cell phone (and 12v charger/adapter) are always a good idea and not tha expensive. A handheld VHF (and 12v charger/adapter) is also nice, but you're looking at around $100-$150 easy there.

Don't forget sea-sickness medicine either.

Pen and paper, in ziplock bags. Important if you have to evacuate someone you need to write on it what time you think they went down, when they came up, time ,etc. IF they get put in an evac helicopter or ambulance this info is important to the emergency room doc.

One more thing I thought of. A good medium sized flashlight with extra batteries. You might be out for a day dive that turns into a night situation.

hope all that helps.

This may be much more then you need. But you may want to check out the trauma kits at galls.

www.galls.com

I don’t have a boat, but one thing I would recommend for any kit is a Sam Splint. They are small enough to pack and very versatile. Can even be used to make a cervical collar.

Here’s a link that gives you a rough idea what a Sam Splint is:

http://conterra-inc.com/product_info.php?products_id=166

I bought a couple (new/unused) from a military surplus store for about half that price.

pick up a pair of binoculars, you can get pretty good ones for pretty cheap. i have a pair of fairly indestructibe ( i hope) waterproof and sandproof ones, they make some difference when scanning the sea, even over a short distance, especially if there are multiple divers in the water who look the same and you need to distinguish one from the other..

also those survivaly blankets are tiny and actually work, great for a cold diver..cover them in one of them and use some heat packs..

One thing with any kit, regular inspection to make sure the contents are in date and not damaged.

A while back there was a company selling kits that included a staple inserter and remover, in place of sutures. They were included in what they called "the open water kit". The last thing I want is some novice thinking they are doing me good and stapling me without proper training.

MichaelBaranows:
What should be in a Scuba First-Aid kit? It will be carried on my boat for fishing and dive trips. Is it better to buy a pre-made kit or should I make one of my own? And besides a First-Aid Kit what are other standard emergency/rescue gear should be carried on a boat being used for diving? I only have a 24' boat so remember shape can be a limiting factor.

Michael
Sweeny, TX

Hi Mike, I'll second the recommendation for: www.galls.com
You could also try: www.allmed.com
I have a trauma/O2 kit from Galls that I carry on the boat (24') in the cuddy cabin, and although the initial cost of some of these kits may seem high, they're worth it-esp. if your in remote locations. Second to the kits, training in their use is also important :wink:
Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom