First Aid & CPR prerequisite for Rescue Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Please tell me about your FA & CPR class which satisfied the prerequisite requirements for your Rescue certification.

Just wondering if a Red Cross class is as good as classes taught through PADI or other dive certification agency and how it is different if it is. For example, do any classes have content that is dive specific?

If you have any related recommendations fell free to share those. Thanks!

Red Cross will satisfy. There really isn't any difference other than the desire for PADI to make money instead of the ARC.

I teach for NAUI and we have a basic life support class and teach DEMP which is Diving Emergency Management Provider that includes diving specific issues, but that's really just marine life hazards. Very little else is "dive specific"

I doubt any org. that is not related to a dive agency will have anything specific to dive related injuries. All that stuff is in the Rescue course. I took EFR twice and St. Johns Ambulance course twice. The latter was much more comprehensive, dealing with bandaging and other stuff. Neither had much to do specifically with diving.

You also have the option of AHA CPR / First Aid classes which may be the easiest to find locally and will satisfy the requirements. The AHA CPR certification is the standard for heathcare providers.

Red Cross will satisfy. There really isn't any difference other than the desire for PADI to make money instead of the ARC.

I teach for NAUI and we have a basic life support class and teach DEMP which is Diving Emergency Management Provider that includes diving specific issues, but that's really just marine life hazards. Very little else is "dive specific"
Well, DEMP also has O2 delivery, and PADI's EFR does too, usually. That is not in the RC classes. The DEMP neurological exam is pretty specific to DCS....not in RC or PADI. OP, take DEMP if you can get it. Otherwise, PADI with O2 supplement.

P.S. You should get O2 delivery as part of the Rescue class...but the DEMP O2 class is better.

Just make sure you get trained in administering O2 if that's required since not all cpr/aed classes cover that. Or maybe that part is done in the PADI class.

Well, DEMP also has O2 delivery, and PADI's EFR does to usually. That is not in the RC classes. The DEMP neurological exam is pretty specific to DCS....not in RC or PADI. P, take DEMP if you can get it. Othewise, PADI with O2 supplement.

Neuro exam is just a sobriety test, but I agree that DEMP is better than the others, but not to the point that I would actively seek it out, especially for the O2 unless you plan on having your own O2 kit which most don't. You'll never use it if you don't have your own.

Neuro exam is just a sobriety test,
Totally disagree. The Romberg is......but all the stuff on one sidedness, and changes every hour?

Knowing the importance of O2 and how to manage the kit might encourage people to buy one, especially if they life in a shore-diving area.
Perhaps you work too much with impoverished students? :)

Totally disagree. The Romberg is......but all the stuff on one sidedness, and changes every hour?

Knowing the importance of O2 and how to manage the kit might encourage people to buy one, especially if they life in a shore-diving area.
Perhaps you work too much with impoverished students? :)

our students are usually scared sh!tless and end up buying one anyways :-D but yeah the sobriety test vs one sidedness, but I struggle with how many people review it. I am always amazed at much I forget every year and part of our instructor requirements for where I teach is that we have to pass the instructor exams annually

our students are usually scared sh!tless and end up buying one anyways :-D but yeah the sobriety test vs one sidedness, but I struggle with how many people review it. I am always amazed at much I forget every year and part of our instructor requirements for where I teach is that we have to pass the instructor exams annually
The DAN slates are pretty good. The Neurological slate is probably enough to get people to remember what to do. The HMLI slates are great.
I've done DFA Pro, DEMP, and the individual courses. DEMP is the sweet spot for content vs time, I think.
And it is more cost-effective than the PADI courses for the students. I don't know about the NAUI course(s).

Back
Top Bottom