Firmware problem with my Petrel 1 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMBL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everybody,

My Petrel 1 (205 logged dives, 174 h diving time, dived it again last week, just worked perfect, as reliable as a Swiss watch) has firmware v38. On the Shearwater homepage it seems the latest firmware if v53.

Do I need to upgrade it, and if so how ? Because Shearwater Desktop v315 on my Mac doesn't seem to be able to do that any longer. Can't even update the start up text any longer (pity it was very useful). Always get a 'bluetooth error' message. Can't figure out why as it works perfectly when I upload any new dive on MacDive.

Any idea anyone ?

Thanks.

It sounds more like a desktop/bluetooth issue than a Petral issue (I have the same setup as you.. Petral 1/Mac). I would be inclined to uninstall the Desktop software, then download a fresh copy and reinstall, see if that helps.

Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like headphones, that you use? Are they connecting ok? If not, then I'd look at the Bluetooth installation, but more likely your Shearwater desktop is pooched for some reason.

I would recommend updating the firmware simply because there may be patches to bugs that you're unaware of. It's worth it to me to make sure my stuff is updated.

which version osx are you running? are you trying to use the dongle? have you tried using the app on your phone instead?

I don't know the iOs platform at all, but I know that I was stuck updating until recent patchwork to the Cloud Software. It now seems to be talking to the Petrel1....

I'd see if the Cloud version works....

It sounds more like a desktop/bluetooth issue than a Petral issue (I have the same setup as you.. Petral 1/Mac). I would be inclined to uninstall the Desktop software, then download a fresh copy and reinstall, see if that helps.

Do you have any other Bluetooth devices, like headphones, that you use? Are they connecting ok? If not, then I'd look at the Bluetooth installation, but more likely your Shearwater desktop is pooched for some reason.

Will try that. My table is connect well via bluetooth.

which version osx are you running? are you trying to use the dongle? have you tried using the app on your phone instead?

Snow Leopard, should be 1068. No need for the dongle, my MacMini's bluetooth ready. Don't have any smartphone so...

I don't know the iOs platform at all, but I know that I was stuck updating until recent patchwork to the Cloud Software. It now seems to be talking to the Petrel1....

I'd see if the Cloud version works....

Don't have any iOs device...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom