Fire Coral sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t4e

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
for the first time i came into contact with fire coral, during our trip to Bonaire
it was on the pinkie and as usual it burned right away
there was no scratch or tissue exposure, as far as i could see
i stopped at the dive shop after we got out of the water, within maybe 30 minutes and they gave me vinegar
that settled it by the end of the next day and i never felt anything again for the full week until we got back to Canada and cold
at the airport while in the parking garage it felt as if i just got stung again, then went away after i warmed up my hands
same thing when exposed to cold the next day and putting my hand in my pocket for some warmth fixed it

is this normal or should i go see a doctor?

from what i read it seems that there is the possibility of residual microscopic pieces to be embedded in the skin that need to be removed but since there hasn't been a wound at all i did not think much of it

as luck will have it, that same arm has an injury to the ulnar nerve at the elbow so my pinkie and ring finger have a slight numb sensation, that happened last year and has been tested at the hospital twice and it is slowly recovering, not sure if there is any relation there

Hit on the lip once. Not bad after a day. reerupted a week later, lasted a few weeks in same spot and same size. Nothing permanent. YMMV

thanks for the replies
upon closer examination today it still looks irritated, not a huge spot though
its not itching at all, just stinging but i'll keep applying hydrocortisone

Stung my knee once - burned like a bitch till we got on the boat and a while later, despite the vinegar.
Was all but disappeared in a couple of days, but re-erupted as a rash, but didnt itch much after about a week and disappeared again through the next few days.

Hi t4e,

Bummer, but seemingly nothing to be alarmed about as the lesion does appear to be resolving.

Somewhat slow healing & sensitivity to exposure to cold are not uncommon in such envenomations. While it is possible that some microscopic pieces are embedded in the wound, they very likely will work themselves to the surface in time. In the absence of fragments that are visible to the eye, or show on x-ray, it is unlikely that any surgical intervention will be recommended. And, as Tigerman & lionfish-eater have indicated, these wounds can & do appear to heal completely, then reappear, only to finally resolve.

In the meantime, monitor the affected area for signs of infection.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Next time soak it in meat tenderizer.....You can get packets at the grocery store... Easy to carry around.....Breaks down the protein, stops the swelling and gets rid of the itch and rash.......Works for most marine toxins, jelly fish, corals, Man-'O-War etc.

Iv'e gotten stung by fire coral a couple times. I either apply vinegar or ammonia. Don't which was worse, the burning sensation or the intense itchiness which may last for days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom