Fins with similar buoyancy than RK3 but stiffer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a JJ and I find that the Jet Fins I used on doubles are too heavy.

I tried a friends Apeks RK3 (the non HD version) and they seem to be much nicer for my trim but I find that they lack a bit of stiffness and I end up having to kick more to get to the same distance.

Is there a fin a bit as buoyant than the Apeks RK3 but stiffer?

OP is in the UK, which pretty much nixes the Eddy as shipping from the US is crazy expensive.

Check out the new Fourth Element Tech Fins. Supposed to be about half way between the RK3 and RK3 HD fins from the standpoint of stiffness and buoyancy.

Fourth-Element-Tech-Fins-Black_750x750_crop_center.progressive.jpg

Just got a JJ and I find that the Jet Fins I used on doubles are too heavy.

I tried a friends Apeks RK3 (the non HD version) and they seem to be much nicer for my trim but I find that they lack a bit of stiffness and I end up having to kick more to get to the same distance.

Is there a fin a bit as buoyant than the Apeks RK3 but stiffer?
OMS Slipstreams are about natural in salt water.
Tecline Lightjets are positive. (Same thing as Deep 6 Eddy and European, only difference is logo)

I am using both Eddy and OMS, propulsion is better with OMS though.

OMS Slipstreams are about natural in salt water.
Tecline Lightjets are positive. (Same thing as Deep 6 Eddy and European, only difference is logo)

I am using both Eddy and OMS, propulsion is better with OMS though.
When I contacted the people behind the Eddys they claimed it was a different material and from my testing the Eddys are indeed quite stiffer than the TecLine version.

I don’t need to call anyone to know about them, I have them both and they pretty much identical in many ways. 😉

View attachment 753123
Thanks for the info, both of them are made in Taiwan island probably from the same manufacture in the same factory with "different "compound mixture 😉
gonna get myself tecline lighjet as deep6 with tax and shipment is 2.5x the price of lightjet😨

off topic but since there were a few pics here - what's with all the new tech fins having huge holes in the blade tips? Do people really care about hanging them that way? Seems like it would be terrible for hydrodynamics. Are the companies all copying each other on visual features with no real basis in physics?

Back
Top Bottom