fins rub on top of foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwang06

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi; I currently have a pair of atomic blades that cause a lot of stress on the top of my foot where it rubs and bruises (I have high arches)

Anyway for tropical waters with no current i use my aeris accel fin which I love and don't cause any rubbing or pressure.

I use the same boots for both... however I have my first liveaboard coming this December and there's going to be more current--- I'm worried after repeated dives with my blades I will be uncomfortable and my aeris won't hold up in the current.

Any suggestions? Thicker boots, or any other brands that have a higher or more flexible pocket? Thanks

What is the reason for you changing between the two? Why not stick with the one that is confortable.
IMO the Accel should be prefered in current where you need a stiff fin with less resistance on the back stroke and looking at the two I'd choose the Accel, but that is me and other may differ on the matter. I would however not consider using fins that hurt my feet, especially on a liveabourd wjere you want to do 6 - 7 dives a day. You'll sit on the boat from day 2.

I also have high insteps, and find wearing a pair of lycra socks inside of the boot helps a lot with reducing the rubbing and stress on the top of the foot.

I was also going to suggest Lycra socks for the rubbing and blisters but not sure how much help they will be if the fin foot pocket is actually too flat and causes real bruising. It just might be a case of poor fit and it happens.

Yeah don’t wear it on the liveaboard. You’ll be miserable. Wear the Accel since it fits or buy another pair without this issue.

Although you could try the Lycra socks to see if it solves the problem. They’re cheap enough.

Last edited:
You have plenty of time to try all of the suggestions that will be coming your way on this thread before buying a new pair of fins. However, a different pair of fins may be in your future, but give yourself enough time to thoroughly check out any new fins before heading off on a major dive trip. What feels OK after a 45 minute dive may not be the same after a week of prolonged diving.

You have plenty of time to try all of the suggestions that will be coming your way on this thread before buying a new pair of fins. However, a different pair of fins may be in your future, but give yourself enough time to thoroughly check out any new fins before heading off on a major dive trip. What feels OK after a 45 minute dive may not be the same after a week of prolonged diving.

Yup!

@lwang06 , if you wanted to try new fins, I can recommend Mares Avanti Quattros or Scubapro Seawing Novas. The Quattros have a rubbery/flexible foot pocket and the Seawing Novas appear to have a higher/rounder foot pocket. These are widely popular fins and they might work for you. If you’re smaller than a US WOMEN’s size 7, the Quattros “might” be too big though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies; I bought thicker boots as we are going to Bonaire and will test it out; but everyone is right I know I will be miserable if my feet hurt so I may just sell my other ones and keep the Accels as they work fine for me.

It's been said several times before...Lycra socks. They also make pulling on a damp wetsuit easier too. My Quatros will give me a blister on one foot if I have to do a lot of finning. Have not had an issue since Santa Claus brought me the dive socks....now if he could just manage to put a Full Faced Mask on the sleigh....

Good luck!!!

Jay

I had the same issue with my toes when on a live aboard, I found that applying duct tape over the affected area will work. It had the added attraction of imbarrassing my daughter as I walked around the boat during the surface interval with the duct tape on. I went to Lycra socks after that.

I never had that happen on a day of diving, so if it does you might want to look for a better fitting fin.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom