Fins, looking for a thumbs up or suggestion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been diving since 1985 and have had a few different fins along the way. Now my interest is more toward just snorkeling. So looking at new fins. I have searched a bit, but not a lot, and am liking the looks of the Mares Avanti Super Channel fins. Would this be a good way to go? Thanks, Joe

I'm a big fan. Been using the same pair of fullfoot Superchannels since 2008. I have Scubapro Go Sports for use with booties and Force Fin Pros for easy packing and I've tried out several other types of fins (mostly by buying used pairs here), but nothing is as fast or efficient as the Superchannels. I will note that I have not tried freediving fins.

I test this with timed swims in a pool. Both at moderate perceived effort and full sprint and frog kicking and flutter. I also put on mixed pairs of fins and kicking with my eyes closed to find out if one fin overpowers the other ans causes me to veer away from that side.

This isn't really a surprise because I bought them after reading Scuba Diving magazine instrumented comparisons where these were the fastest and highest thrust fin tested.

Since you appear to be more of the free diver than scuba, look at what Mako offers.

Thanks. I heard good things about them but, would rather hear it from the horses mouth of someone who owns them.
Will check out the Mako and see what they look,like. Joe

Mares makes good fins (have a pair). My go to are Deep 6 Eddy fins. I'd look at that or from OMS over RK3s
The RK3s are my go to fin for scuba diving.
I'm not sure I would recommend that many scuba fins for free diving. While they would work, the designs are favored toward scuba.

I love my quattro avantis. Best non-freediving fullfoot fin out there, and work decently for freediving if you do that as well. I use the open heel version when I'm in a dry suit. Not sure why they aren't more popular honestly.

Biggest down side with the full foot ones is they don't fit in luggage very well. Have to go with big bags. I think the super channels are a little shorter though, so maybe not a problem.

The RK3s are my go to fin for scuba diving.
I'm not sure I would recommend that many scuba fins for free diving. While they would work, the designs are favored toward scuba.
I find the regular RK3s too soft. For snorkeling the RDK3 HDs are too heavy. The Eddy fits the bill, as I snorkel and scuba dive on vacation.

I only want to carry one set of fins when I travel.

Well I bought a pair today, I kinda went inexpensive and ordered the Mares Manta’s. My time in the water snorkeling now will not be as long as when I was diving. I ordered a pair of dive socks also. Hopefully I’ll be happy with them.
Thanks for the info and suggestions, Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom