Fins for small feet with all the power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil debs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am currently trying to get my scuba gear together as am planning on going into the profession working as a guide/photographer/video.

I have been using rented or borrowed gear since I have started diving and have got to a point that I am now fed-up of always using equipment that is either too big or kids with no power. Very frustrating!

I have been told by numerous friends (all diving instructors) who have pointed me in the direction of Mares fin. I have heard the Avanti Quattro range are top of the class for fins but I am having issues with fin size. I have small feet, UK size 4 and have to wear 3mm boats while diving to help keep fins on. I have not been able to find a size guide to mares fin or like wise. The Avanti Quattro plus range only do size S not XS and I do not know if they will be too big.

I have also liked using Aqualung but the fins I found that I liked are no longer made. I like a fin with some power and I have strong legs as I am an avid bike rider too. Just need some help on fins as it is starting to get a little annoying not having the gear that makes me feel comfortable in the water.

Any help or anyone's experience of having small feet and finding good fins would be very much appreciated.

I have what's considered to be small feet in American sizes (women's 6). I have a pair of Dive Rite XT fins I love. They're stiff and powerful, but less stiff than the Hollis F2 fins I previously used that tweaked my bad knees. I've used both in a size small (my booties are a size XS). I have the size small XTs for pool work/swimming laps. I dive dry and have a size large to fit my dry suit rock boots.

Per the UK/US shoe size conversion chart from Zappos.com (online shoe retailer), a UK 4 is equivalent to a US size 6.

Shoe Size Conversion | Zappos.com

So the size small Dive Rite XT fins should fit you, I would think.

XT Fin - Dive Right in Scuba

What is your preferred kick ?

Do you want open heel of full foot fins ?

You have indicated open heel only, but if you want a powerful fin that fits small feet- perhaps consider our Los Nino's closed heel long fins. Priced extremely competitively as well.

Good luck with your pursuits!

Dano

Hi, I am currently trying to get my scuba gear together as am planning on going into the profession working as a guide/photographer/video.

I have been told by numerous friends (all diving instructors) who have pointed me in the direction of Mares fin. I have heard the Avanti Quattro range are top of the class for fins but I am having issues with fin size. I have small feet, UK size 4 and have to wear 3mm boats while diving to help keep fins on. I have not been able to find a size guide to mares fin or like wise. The Avanti Quattro plus range only do size S not XS and I do not know if they will be too big.

I have also liked using Aqualung but the fins I found that I liked are no longer made. I like a fin with some power and I have strong legs as I am an avid bike rider too. Just need some help on fins as it is starting to get a little annoying not having the gear that makes me feel comfortable in the water.

Any help or anyone's experience of having small feet and finding good fins would be very much appreciated.

My family started diving using the Avanti Quattro, we have none left. Lots of leg fatigue with these. My 5'4" 112 lbs size 6 foot. daughter with no real athletic ability switched to Atomic Blade fins last summer. The day after she received her AOW we dove the Lady Luck, also the day after she was sunk off the coast of Ft Lauderdale, Florida. In strong current, she was 1 of the 16 divers out of 30 to get down to the ship. We dove Rainbow river a couple weeks ago and we brought them over her splits, because she loves them soo. You know how girls get attached to things.
Small fit Euro foot - 37-38

I have small feet just shy of 7, I used the DR XTs, the smalls in thick boots were a tad tight but the mediums with thick boots, 4th element 6.5mm, work well for me. I really like these fins and I've owned a lot. The mediums are longer then the smalls which is helpful. If I only dove wet these would be the only fins I'd ever use. FWIW I predominantly frog kick. For dry, Santi Flexi soles size 8, I use the Mares power Planas in small, I really like these fins too. The Quattros, diving wet, in small will be too big, they were for me anyway, some countries do have them in XS.

Last edited:
I have small feet, too - a foot length of 8 1/4 inches. But they're wider than most people. Any recommendations on what size will fit me best? I'm planning to buy fins that are light but has some power, too.

The original jet fins fit children in small booties.

Another easy solution is to buy thicker sole rock boots to go in whichever fin design you like. With open heel the foot pocket size doesn't do much for determining the power of the fin.

This is a common bootie for wearing inside open heel fins where strong accurate kicks are need (like videography):
4okjsl-hero.jpg

Back
Top Bottom