Fins for Diving & Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any recommendations for a good, open heel, dual purpose fin? Just started diving and have some cheapo Promate snorkeling fins. They seem to work okay but the straps are cheap and I'm worried about them breaking.

I use my dive fins for snorkeling. I have a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro's. They are one of the best paddle fins made.

I recommend trying some on and if possible trying them out. That's not always possible though unless you're in an area to do so. There are a lot of good fins out there (wish I could have tried several of them) and most people will recommend what they use or have used.

My first pair were TUSA traditional long fins which I thought were fine, until my legs started hurting as I began to dive more. Read a lot of material about diving and leg pain and found that split fins might help. Bought TUSA X-PERT Zoom split fins without trying them first and on no one's recommendation. First time diving (and every dive since - 9 years) I've had no leg pain. I could recommend those, but others would maybe say you can't maneuver as well with split fins, so get something else.

My 3rd pair, ScubaPro Twin Jet full foot split fins, I alternate with the TUSA's depending on where I'm diving. I tried these on in my LDS and they felt pretty good. I only hoped they would feel as good in the water, which they did. I have also used both to snorkel with and they work fine.

Good luck on whatever you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom