Finnnallly!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
*phew*
after many months of abscence from the water due to work requirements, I finally passed my open water this weekend at stoney cove, i also managed to begin moving onto the advanced open water which i will be finishing off in two weekends time in falmouth when we go for the bank holiday weekend

other than a few equalising problems between 2 and 8 meters (always had them) things went rather well, apart from my new mask not quite taking shape yet, which meant it didnt quite seal around the nose :)
all in all a great weekend, the hotel was rather nice, we spent an hour relaxing after saturdays long day in the spa and steam room :wink:

I also managed to get my dry suit speciality, but im not sure if i want to shell out the 55 quid for another card :wink:
lol

hopfully i will see some of you around now im a bit more active!!
take care all

Congratulations.

As a confirmed warm water diver I am impressed, although I am curious about the dry suit course. Did you do the course but are not sure about getting the cert card ?

I may be joining you brave people diving in the Uk as I can't wait six months before I can get to warm water.

yes the course is done, all our dives are done in dry suits, and so it is an included part of our open water course, but getting the cert card costs 55 quid, just not sure if i need one yet as the club lend me dry suits for free, and if i ever go and get my own it shouldnt be a problem, the only problem is if you try and rent one and dont have a cert card, you may get some hassle

first dive i did i didnt use a hood or gloves, although after entering the water i soon called shore support for some gloves :wink:
it wasnt so bad being the first dive, we only went to 6 - 7 meters,

i used a hood for all other dives, it was pretty cold, especially down at 24 meters, unfortunatly i didnt get to do the hydrobox as i had problems equalising around the 8m mark, but that would of involved crossing a thermocline, something i am interested in experiancing for my own confidence more than anything :)

£55, that seems a lot, I thought the cert fee was generally around $30, thats what it seems to be abroad, but should be about the same as it all goes throught the Bristol office.

Having said that I believe the only problem in buying/renting a drysuit etc is proving you have used one and I guess if you have it in your log and they are stamped and signed off I doubt many places would query it, but I'm sure others could give you a more accurate answer.

I am really tempted to try a drysuit dive soon, just for the experience if nothing else. My current semi dry has a weird habit of trapping air which gathers at my feet (giving a kind of Popeye effect) which doesn't seem to be able to make its way out anywhere, so I might as well try a dry suit now (more air, but more control).

In my warm water history I have never experienced a true thermocline, I am curious about it, another of those 'only under water' experiences.

I wouldn't bother paying £55 for a dry suit cert. Most club divers never did a specific dry suit training course. I often take out club trainee's who rent suits for the occasion so lack of a dive certificate or dry suit endorsement doesn't stop them.

Back
Top Bottom