Fine tuning the trim for a XDeep NX Zen Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt78

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a XDeep NX Zen Deluxe Aluminium wing in size small as I’m only 5ft6 168cm tall. I have done over 90 dives with this configuration using standard length 12lt steel and aluminium cylinders.

With steel 12lt cylinders, and wetsuit, I usually dive with 2x 1Kg across the integrated weight pockets. I usually have to add another 1Kg, typically on the cylinder band for aluminium cylinder dives or I am a little too light towards the end of the dive.

On my last set of dives with a steel 12lt “dumpy” cylinder, I noticed my trim was off, and I was nose down, feet up.

As part of the SSI course, we did a number of rescue scenarios, and with my wing off, I noticed that even when fully inflated, the wing would sit upside down in the water compared to others with the dive shop rental XDeep Zeos wings which sat cylinder up in the correct orientation.

Is this just because the “dumpy” cylinder altering the weight distribution, and the 2kg in the bottom integrated weight pockets was not enough to keep it upright?

The instructor suggested adjusting the backplate and single tank adapter which has a couple of positions (even though the bottom of the wing is a slot, there are only a couple of holes at the top of the backplate). I used the guide here: NX Assembly Guide - Backplate & Harness - 5-Star SCUBA Dive & Snorkeling - Get Certified, Sidemount, and Technical Diving it improved things slightly. This also seems to match the advice from FreqFlier here: Xdeep Zen Deluxe positioning anf adjustment

I have struggled to find any advice online for fine tuning the setup of the XDeep NX Zen. Any hints or tips, or is it just a pain when the dive shop has “dumpy” cylinder rentals?

Any hints or tips, or is it just a pain when the dive shop has “dumpy” cylinder rentals?
"Dumpy" (short steel ones) cylinders is usually a pain to get to trim properly.

Xdeep Zen wing is created in a shape of an upside down horseshoe, not a donut like most others. That creates additional (somewhat perfectly balanced for regular cylinders) lift to the bottom of cylinder.

First tip - switch to a regular size cylinder (I know, they say dumpy works better for a shorter person, at 5-6 you're not short, but Xdeep already thought about that since regular cylinders are easier to come by).
Another tip (if you want to or have to stick to using a dumpy) - you have two cylinder bands on your Zen, place your cylinder as low as you need to, potentially even removing the upper band until you get to a proper trim. Funny your instructor couldn't figure that out. Red flag?

Thank you for your advice. I have rarely encountered dumpy cylinders, so your explanation really helps me understand why.

I had never thought of just using the lower band with dumpy cylinders as I already had it as low as possible with the two bands. Good idea!

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom