Finding a Silfra dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metalheadluigi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

I am likely going to be in Iceland in late March so I feel like I might as well check out the local diving while I'm there. Like other threads have mentioned, some research into the area shows that the exorbitantly priced guided dives are not "necessary" and all that is needed is a permit from the national park. This will allow the dive shops to rent you the gear and from what I've gathered from other's posts, they might even be kind enough to give a short dive briefing/orientation. That's all well and good and sounds like an amazing plan! The dive itself seems pretty straightforward (just make a left at the obvious sandbank, avoid any overhead areas, and stay under 18m of depth). I'm planning on getting my drysuit cert beforehand so that I am prepared to deal with the buoyancy changes and additional safety concerns that are inherent with diving in a Michelin-man style bag of air. My primary concerns are the following:

1. I'll be traveling with my gf and she is not certified, so I do not actually have a dive buddy. I'm not nearly experienced or trained enough to do a solo dive, but I'm also very hesitant to pay >$400USD for 1-2 dives when renting the gear comes out to less than half of that. What's the best way to get a hold of someone else who will be in the area and willing to do the dive with me during that time frame?
2. I am admittedly a newer diver with 9 dives under my belt. About half of those dives were in Carribean warm waters and the other half in Southern California cold water. I know 1-3C will be its own beast to conquer, but from what I've gathered, your lips and face go a little numb and the surface air is what get's to you, more so than the water temp. Other than that, I hear that the cold is manageable with a drysuit. By the time I have my drysuit cert, I'll have at least 11 dives, but hopefully I'll get closer to 15-20 dives in by March. Am I underestimating the skill level required for this dive? Should I have a divemaster present given my experience level and just eat the cost in the name of safety?

Back
Top Bottom