Finding a good Calypso J reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reimannk

Registered
Reaction score
Been a lurker for a while and never thought I’d be spending any significant time on a vintage scuba board, but here I am. Can’t believe the amount of collective knowledge here.

I’m interested in picking up my first set of vintage regulators preferably with a J valve. Through all the reading I’ve done, it seems like a good place to start might be with the Calypso J regulator. They seem pretty popular, so hopefully that will make it easier to find support when I inevitably need to fix things.

Anyways, where’s a good place to start to look for a vintage regulator like this? I kind of want to find something that’s in good condition, but also don’t want to spend hundreds of bucks. Are there any sellers that have a reputation for selling vintage regs that they’ve already overhauled? Obviously there’s stuff on EBay, but don’t know if there’s another place/person I should be talking with first.

Thanks!

Classic Scuba Regulator

Post shows him about 2 hours RT away from me. I would made the drive for $60 including shipping to you.

You might be able to find someone else that’s closer to pick it up for you.

Vintagedoublehose.com may be of interest to you
Yup! Have been spending some time there. Looks like a great resource for help with a rebuild. An article there specifically about the rebuild of the Calypso J is one of the reasons I’m interested in it.

I’ve got 3 calypso J second stages, 1 of which is operable from what I can tell, and 2 J valves. Let’s talk. I’ve got a multitude of other vintage stuff from my father’s heyday in the early 70’s.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 188
Cool! Just bought it! Thanks for the heads up.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn’t say “Calypso J” on the front of the secondary like others. Anyone know what differences there could be between different “Calypso J” regulators or is it just superficial?

You're welcome. I don't know much about USD gear but, I'd say superficial. Could be someone but a Calypso 2nd stage on a J 1st stage. The difference is in the 1st stage. The 2nd stages are probably the same. Good luck, safe diving.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn’t say “Calypso J” on the front of the secondary like others. Anyone know what differences there could be between different “Calypso J” regulators or is it just superficial?
All the US Divers / Aqualung metal seconds from that era are basically the same, some minor changes in exhaust tee (screw on vs slip on) and larger exhaust valves in the later models. Rebuild wise, parts interchangeable.

The only difference would be the label on the purge button.

Saying that, the Calypso-J, like all the Calypso piston regulators, came with two different second stages. The early ones had a somewhat smaller exhaust port, while the later ones had a larger exhaust port with a kinda-dome behind it. This let the mushroom valve open in many positions in air rather than water, and led to lower exhalation resistance because there was no water pressure differential on the mushroom (with water, the mushroom tends to open only on one side, whereas when its in air, it opens all the way around). It appears that the one you bought has the larger exhaust opening.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom