Finally, some great new UW P&S cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
It's about time! Two cameras have come out or been announced recently that have ALL the features for underwater shooting. I'm drooling.
First, as the Canon followers know, Canon just announced the G-9. 12mp, 6x optical zoom, a hotshoe, RAW and image stabilization. And they simultaneously announced an UW housing. And it uses like 6 different kinds of memory. Who could ask for more. (WA/close up lens adaptor?)
Next, Sea & Sea DX-1G. The new Nikonos? 10mp, 1/2" focus capability at 24mm wide angle, plus they have a WA lens that allows 0 to infinity. .1 sec focus time. Hot shoe, RAW, and lots more. I have to admit to being impressed with the macro capabilities of the DX8000G one of the other divers was using on the Vision. That's the weakpoint of my SP-350. Slow and poor focus really close up. Oh, did I mention this thing will focus down to 2" at 48mm zoom?
Just when we thought we'd have to settle for less, as everyone builds automatic everything do it all for everyone consumer cameras, these show up with full manual control (the Canon even has a separate ISO wheel) and all the features we're looking for.
Who needs a DSLR?

Larry C:
Who needs a DSLR?

I do. In fact I'm thrilled with the new Nikon DSLR offerings! :D

The G9 looks like a very cool camera. However PnS's will continue to have small sensors, slow lenses, and poor high ISO performance compared to DSLR's. The 35mm Max WA focal length is also not the best for UW shooting.

OTOH, it does have RAW (YEAH), and looks like a real winner for those that don't want to carry around the bulk of a DSLR. Too bad the lens is not a bit wider, that's kinda a deal breaker for me for a walk about pocket camera.

Good to see RAW is back on the G9.
However there is a general lack of 28mm in the new P&S range.
I was really hoping that Canon would release a new S model,an update of the S80.:shakehead:

I am personally looking forward to the G9. I am "hoping" to get one for Christmas. I have looked at the Sea & Sea 1G as well, but I like the Canon a bit more. The reviews on wetpixel and digideep seem to be more up on the G9 too.. I want to see some User Reviews though. I do not think I will use the camera like a professional photo reviewer would, so seeing how the (just above-) average joe (or joette) would write on these cameras will be nice to see.

I want a UW tripod. :)

azcaddman:
the SP-560 UZ is now 27-486mm , now if they fixed the image quality issues.....

Unfortunately, according to all the reviews I've read, Olympus still can't compare in focus speed...especially in low light conditions. Also, the super zoom models seem to need too much room between the lens and housing for good UW use. Maybe some of you SP-550/60 guys will prove me wrong. Recent Canons seem to be much faster in low light, as is the Sea & Sea. I was hoping for an SP-360 (400) that would keep all the key features and give better performance in those categories, but Oly hasn't stepped up to the plate. Maybe they should go drag a 5050 out of the back room and compare it to all the new stuff, then improve the antiquated electronics for faster write times and focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom